Motion activated light

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
I’m looking into different lighting options for our walk in coop, it doesn’t have electricity. Would a motion activated light like one of those in closets be annoying for the chicks at night? Most of them are in a prefab in the coop while we do see no touch. Eventually we’re adding a window or skylight

:oops: I missed this was for a walk in coop. The lights I linked might be a bit much. 😆

They are actually a really nice thing to light up the path in the dark mornings/evenings when ones hands are full. I have motion activated on the front of my shop very similar to the one you linked. It is a really great way to spot ice patches before I break a hip.

It's all preference. Once you make the walk to your coop several times a day for months, or even years, you probably don't need much more than your natural vision to do it.

For me, I'd rather have something that lights up the inside of the coop while I'm working in it so a camp lantern makes the most sense. Walk out with it (noting any potential hazards along the way, such as ice), set it inside the coop to light it up, run food and water out, refresh the nesting box straw or tidy the coop up, then carry the lantern back.

Thanks for the suggestions! It would be for lighting the coop while I feed the babies, clean, etc during the day. I don’t mind using my phone light to pop out and shut the door at night. Usually I have my hands full during the morning chores since the feed is kept in the house for now. Take out the big chicks pellets, then bring back the waterers to refill, then feed the babies. Good catch on cold draining the batteries :/ Perhaps a headlamp would be ideal

Thanks for the suggestions! It would be for lighting the coop while I feed the babies, clean, etc during the day. I don’t mind using my phone light to pop out and shut the door at night. Usually I have my hands full during the morning chores since the feed is kept in the house for now. Take out the big chicks pellets, then bring back the waterers to refill, then feed the babies. Good catch on cold draining the batteries :/ Perhaps a headlamp would be ideal

For that I vote headlamp since hands would be full.

I do like my motion sensor flood light that is solar to help light the pathway too.

We use motion activated lights that are battery operated. We got them from home depot. They only turn on when there is movement near by. If the chicks are in the coop, there shouldn't be any movement.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Beam...-Security-Light-Brown-MB3100-BRN-01/301453772

Wanted to add that the chickens aren't setting it off in our set up because they already go in the coop before the lights would turn on. Needs to be dark enough outside for them to trigger. My ducks, I put to bed and it does look like they are out there having a party. 😁
We have a US flag hanging off the front of the run, it's almost always blowing in the wind. It does not trigger the lights. They are adjustable if needed.
I can walk to a certain area just outside of the pen and one will turn on. But, that almost acts as a security feature.
I have used the tap lights in the coop and the really bright led lights with a switch that runs on battery in a shed. The difference with these is that they can be aimed so that they are useful not just a direct light that might not be as effective.

Last edited:
I like the kind you have to activate as @rosemarythyme suggested.

Just know cold drains batteries.

Maybe a light you carry with you like a battery operated camp light would work and be able to take in out of the cold. There are options for every price range.

Screenshot_20211012-191409.png

Back
Top Bottom