Mottle Houdan question

Doughnut

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Oregon
Hello. I have two Mottled Houdans and have a question about their disposition. I have noticed that the Houdans are nearly as 'bright' as my Americaunas, White Silkies or Polish Laced. The rest of the chickens know the daily routine, but for some reason the Houdans just don't get it. When I put the goodie tray in the coop all the chickens know what is coming and wait for it. The Houdans just walk around like they are oblivious. Even when the other chickens are chowing down on the goodies, the Houdans continue to just walk around. They eventually make it over and start getting goodies. In the morning when I let everyone out, everyone else runs out, but the Houdans just wander around and it takes awhile for them to come out. When the cats are next to the coop, the other chickens move away, but again the Houdans go right next to the fence and look at the cats. Are Houdans just not afraid of anything or do they just not 'get it'?

One more question about the Houdans. How can you tell the differance between the hen and rooster? I have looked on the internet but no luck in distiguinishing the differance. Neither has crowed yet.

Thanks.

We have only had one, and she broke everyone's heart when she died. I don't know if they are not as bright or not; they are different, though. They are not as aggressive as some other breeds; at least ours wasn't. They are very friendly, calm chickens, and maybe what you're seeing is just part of their disposition. I don't know how you tell the difference, between the hen and roo when they are young, but ss they age you will certainly be able to tell.

I believe it is just the fact that they don't see well because of the crests. They don't see you putting the treats down, they don't see the cats.

This is a picture of my roos head
61526264e05d62bf0fca57300d5c32e52e1.jpg

These are my hens
cba26054775e42ab0b6a453c8915467ef3b.jpg

I also find that my roo is much darker and less mottled than my hens. I hope this helps.

Thank you ever so much for the info.

By the looks of the pictures, I have one for sure hen. I'll have to pick up the other one and take a good look at his/her face and compare it to the pics. I had a Polish Laced rooster who started crowing a few weeks ago so knew right away he was a he. Then last week the White Silkie started crowing so knew he was a he. The unknown Houdan sex hasn't attempted any kind of crowing sound.

Thanks for the pictures and the info on these guys. This is the first time raising chickens so everything is new to me. And this forum and everyone here is so great.

Here are several pics of the Mottled Houdans. Hope you can see them clearly enough to hopefully know what sex they are.

Thanks.

Thanks. I was fairly positive after looking at your pics that the one is hen, but the other one just looks differant. I tried posting a bigger pic of them both together, but can't seem to figure out how to get it bigger to see better.

Well, that would put it at three roosters here, ( a large, much older black and white speckled one who adopted us a few months back), the White Silkie rooster and now a Mottled Houdan. I have 7 hens so am guessing three roosters are too many.

Looks like the Houdan rooster is going to have to find another home.

Thanks again for al lyour help.

This little houdan was our freebie with a meat chicken order and he's only 5 weeks old so I'm not too worried about what he/she is yet but is this normal for their nose? Looks like he/she has extra nostrils just under his/her hairline? Just making sure, it's fun to get a free chick but then you have to hunt info about them!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom