Ok everyone! Here she is at about 13 weeks. I'm saying she because I'm thinking pullet. Even though her comb is redder and larger than most cochin pullets, I feel that it would be much larger at this age if she was a rooster. Also I don't see any male feathering. What do you think?
12.jpg
13.png
14.png
15.png

Thanks Seaecho for your opinion! I appreciate it! It still has me guessing. I feel like its comb is getting larger and redder the past few days. Yet when its calmer the red disappears from around its eyes and the comb/waddles get a bit lighter. But for the most part they're pretty red most of the time. Any other options out there? I would greatly appreciate! I tried to get some good photos today. I named it Stella. Super friendly too. Bites little hard when investigating though. Hehe!

stella34.png
stella35.png
stella38.png
stella36.png
stella37.png

Yes Seaecho! This bird still continues to confuse me too, but I'm no expert at sexing them. One day I'm thinking girl and next I'm thinking boy. I'm so anxious to know! I'm still leaning towards pullet though. It's 16 weeks old now. Don't see any hackle or saddle feathers. Shouldn't it have some by now? It does have some funky longer feathers coming from its tail though. Sickle feathers? Are sickle feathers pointy? It's comb and waddles continue to grow as well. Here's some pics of it today. Anyone let me know what they think!
24.png
18.png
20.png
23.png
19.png

That cute little face is still not as red as I would expect in a cockerel! I agree with you, purpletiger that there are no signs of hackle or saddle feathers. I do see the pointy tail feathers, which is making this even more of a mystery. The feathering of a cockerel should have started by this age, I would think. Maybe the feathering is slow to come about in this bird. Just making generalizations here, but "super friendly" and "bites kind of hard when investigating" sound like cockerel behavior, although some hens can have an attitude too. Gosh, wish I could be more helpful! The expression makes me think of a hen. So this chicken is all over the place!

Back
Top Bottom