Mottled Cochin Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purpletiger, Jul 10, 2018.

1. purpletiger

purpletiger Chirping

Jun 22, 2014
    Hi everyone! I bought four bantams. Pretty sure the two d'uccles and the easter egger are pullets. But I'm a little confused about the mottled cochin. It's about 6 weeks old. Any guesses on his/her gender? There has been some comb growth and it looks kinda reddish. It's more red when it's active. I tried to get some shots of it outside in the natural light. Let me know if full bodied shots would help. Any help on what gender he or she is would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mottled Cochin
    mc.png comb3.png comb1.png comb2.jpg
    D'uccle 1
    d2.png
    D'uccle 2
    d1.png
    Easter Egger
    ee.png

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    At 6 weeks, that comb DOES look a little big to me. I'd keep a close watch. In anothr 2-3 weeks it should be obvious.

3. purpletiger

purpletiger Chirping

Jun 22, 2014
    Thanks Seaecho! I'll try posting another pic in 2-3 weeks.

4. purpletiger

purpletiger Chirping

Jun 22, 2014
    Hi everyone! Just reposting pictures of my bantam mottled Cochin. He/she is approaching 9 weeks. I'm still not sure of the gender. I'm leaning towards pullet. I feel like it would have more waddles by now if it was a rooster. Still, the redness and size of the comb are throwing me off. When she/he is active, the comb is much redder, When relaxed it turns much paler. What do you guys think?

stella4.png
    Relaxed
    stella3.png
    Active. Notice the red blush that happens on the face.
    stella6.png

stella7.png

stella8.png

Any guesses?

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Now that's a head scratcher.

*Most* bantam Cochins really telecast by 8 to 10 weeks they are male. The boys get noticeably large and red combs while the girls have small, yellow combs.

It is larger, and pinker, which gives me thought it is a rooster. However, it is not developed like most bantam Cochin roos by 9 weeks.

All I can suggest is wait it out another 3 weeks. By 12 weeks of age, most bantam Cochin roos have large red combs while the girls still have small yellow combs.

Good news. If you can keep a roo, bantam Cochin roos are known to usually be very sweet little guys.

My thoughts.
    LofMc

6. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    The first pic had me thinking female, no doubt. BUT . . . the second pic, I agree with you. It's a little scary. The third pic is so-so, and the 4th and 5th look very female. There is a bit of comb and wattle development, but I don't think it's enough to call this a cockerel at 9 weeks. That wattle is pretty small. I will guess pullet, but you might have to wait until 12 weeks to be sure.

7. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    I was apparently typing at the same time as Lady! I think we concur pretty much!

8. jwyles

jwyles Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Louisiana
    I think girls.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  9. purpletiger

purpletiger Chirping

Jun 22, 2014
    Haha! Thanks you guys! Looks like the opinions are unanimous! I'll post some update photos around 12 weeks. Either way I'm keeping it. She is a supposed to be a sexed pullet cochin from MPC. I was kinda hoping for maybe a oopsy rooster. Hehe! Also seems like Meyer/MPC cochin pullets have much larger combs compared to other blood lines. My guess is a pullet for now. I'll just have to wait and see.

10. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

You're lucky to get that many hens even though it's just four. It looks so much like a hen but one at 6 months. Hens usually don't have that red of a comb and wattles until they start laying. BUT, I did have a polish hen that sort of was that red so I am not going to say that it is a rooster. Does it act any different than the other three?

drumstick diva and jwyles like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: