purpletiger

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Hi everyone! I bought four bantams. Pretty sure the two d'uccles and the easter egger are pullets. But I'm a little confused about the mottled cochin. It's about 6 weeks old. Any guesses on his/her gender? There has been some comb growth and it looks kinda reddish. It's more red when it's active. I tried to get some shots of it outside in the natural light. Let me know if full bodied shots would help. Any help on what gender he or she is would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mottled Cochin
mc.png
comb3.png
comb1.png
comb2.jpg

D'uccle 1
d2.png

D'uccle 2
d1.png

Easter Egger
ee.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just reposting pictures of my bantam mottled Cochin. He/she is approaching 9 weeks. I'm still not sure of the gender. I'm leaning towards pullet. I feel like it would have more waddles by now if it was a rooster. Still, the redness and size of the comb are throwing me off. When she/he is active, the comb is much redder, When relaxed it turns much paler. What do you guys think?

stella4.png

Relaxed
stella3.png

Active. Notice the red blush that happens on the face.
stella6.png

stella7.png

stella8.png

Any guesses?

Now that's a head scratcher.

*Most* bantam Cochins really telecast by 8 to 10 weeks they are male. The boys get noticeably large and red combs while the girls have small, yellow combs.

It is larger, and pinker, which gives me thought it is a rooster. However, it is not developed like most bantam Cochin roos by 9 weeks.

All I can suggest is wait it out another 3 weeks. By 12 weeks of age, most bantam Cochin roos have large red combs while the girls still have small yellow combs.

Good news. If you can keep a roo, bantam Cochin roos are known to usually be very sweet little guys.

My thoughts.
LofMc

The first pic had me thinking female, no doubt. BUT . . . the second pic, I agree with you. It's a little scary. The third pic is so-so, and the 4th and 5th look very female. There is a bit of comb and wattle development, but I don't think it's enough to call this a cockerel at 9 weeks. That wattle is pretty small. I will guess pullet, but you might have to wait until 12 weeks to be sure.

Haha! Thanks you guys! Looks like the opinions are unanimous! I'll post some update photos around 12 weeks. Either way I'm keeping it. She is a supposed to be a sexed pullet cochin from MPC. I was kinda hoping for maybe a oopsy rooster. Hehe! Also seems like Meyer/MPC cochin pullets have much larger combs compared to other blood lines. My guess is a pullet for now. I'll just have to wait and see.

You're lucky to get that many hens even though it's just four. It looks so much like a hen but one at 6 months. Hens usually don't have that red of a comb and wattles until they start laying. BUT, I did have a polish hen that sort of was that red so I am not going to say that it is a rooster. Does it act any different than the other three?

Back
Top Bottom