Mottled Silkie with Blue/Green eggs Project.

Off topic, but are those eggs really that color intense?:th
28bfebb084e6ecfade0e1ef5914463dc-jpg.1887215

Down to 1 black and 1 partiage chick.
Other 2 black chicks died of drowning?. In a shallow water bowl.:hit. I cant believe it.

Also when i checked the eggs a few days later. I saw the most were black but there were 2 - 3 partiage chicks in the unhatched eggs.

Just had a thought about the f2 gen.
Won't i get mottled chickens with straight feathers as well as silkie mottles? I haven't seen anyone mention them in there gene equations. What % will be mottled/straight feather? Just wondering

Just had a thought about the f2 gen.
Won't i get mottled chickens with straight feathers as well as silkie mottles? I haven't seen anyone mention them in there gene equations. What % will be mottled/straight feather? Just wondering
So sorry to here about your lost chicks!!

How can you tell what color the chicks are in the eggs? That's neat!

If you F2 generation is crossing the black siblings together, which I am assuming it is, then 75% of them will have straight feathers and only 25% will have silkie. Along the same route, 75% of them will be black and 25% of them will be mottled. So you will have a 12.5% chance of hatching a mottled silkie. Of course, type won't be exceptional so I this is where you will want to hatch a prolific number of eggs until you build up a substantial number of chickens with silkie qualities. Lots of culling will be your next step!
But since you mentioned you had partridge chicks hatching, it is possible that your F2 generation will also hatch partridge chicks. Avoid these at all costs because the influence of partridge is something you will be fighting for a while.

Back
Top Bottom