Mourning Hens or New Rooster Issue?

Quetts

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2019
I just joined BYC today for some advice. We started raising chickens last summer and were doing great until last month when we believe a fox got four of our flock of six. We lost our Rooster- Rocky and three hens, BooBoo, Baby Grey and Stormy. They were survived by Marilyn and Star. It was totally our fault as we had to go to a funeral in Pittsburgh and the girls and Rocky were uncharacteristically stubborn about going into the coop when we needed to leave at 2:00pm. We had had no issues with wildlife up to this point and assumed we would be home well before dark. Unfortunately, the funeral was huge and we did not get home till after dark. I closed the door to the Big coop and saw Marilyn and Star on the outside Roost and assumed that the others were in the coop. (We essentially have a little starter coop inside a big coop.)
I was heartbroken the next morning when I opened the coop and it was only the two. I searched all over for the rest but unfortunately all I found were a couple of piles of feathers leading away from the coop. I never in my life thought I would get so attached to chickens. Especially Rocky who was a great Rooster who always treated the girls well and showed them where food was by making a sound pecking the area and then stepping back to let the girls eat.
After my mourning period I decided we needed to get another rooster. I got a young EasterEgger, who is nothing like Rocky and a bit timid still. He is not even crowing yet but is bigger than the hens. During the period right after losing Rocky and the three girls (March 21) Marilyn and Star continued to lay eggs. I got the new Rooster on the 30th of March. On April 2nd Marilyn stopped laying and two days ago on the 14th Star stopped laying. I am just not sure if it is the loss of the others or the introduction of a new Rooster that is affecting them, or something else? Just looking for advice. I plan to add four new laying pullets to the flock on the 24th of this month. Should I wait longer or go ahead with the additions?

Sorry for your loss. :hugs
How old is your new boy?
How did you introduce him to your 2 remaining girls?
I think he is about 4 months or so ..... not crowing yet but bigger than the girls.

I kept him in a pen for four days where the hens could see him and he could see them. When I let him out I kept them all closed up in the coop together for three days before letting them free range. Now they all run together .... :) but the hens aren't laying now. :(

I think he is about 4 months or so ..... not crowing yet but bigger than the girls.

I kept him in a pen for four days where the hens could see him and he could see them. When I let him out I kept them all closed up in the coop together for three days before letting them free range. Now they all run together .... :) but the hens aren't laying now. :(

4 days really isn't long enough for introducing new birds to your flock. Your original girls are stressed.

I'm sure your correct. Trying to keep them happy.... Will keep the new girls that are coming next week separated for a few weeks but well within sight of the current ones. Thanks for your input. Q

They were gonna be stressed regardless,New Birds a new bird, no matter when it’s introduced.Its probabaly a little bit of everything that’s causing them not to lay.

They were gonna be stressed regardless,New Birds a new bird, no matter when it’s introduced.Its probabaly a little bit of everything that’s causing them not to lay.
Thanks! I know they are stressed...I'm still stressed over the loss of my wonderful Roo and girls...we were all doing so well!! Q

Give it time.
If the cockerel and remaining hens are getting along OK, I'd not worry.
Has he mounted them yet, did they submit?
I wonder if he's old enough to mate, 4mo is right on the cusp of sexual maturity.

Could be the stress of the flock mates being gone and adding the new cockerel that has put off laying. Same thing may will happen when you add more pullets.
4 days for the male is OK, adding more females may take more integration time.
How old are the new girls?

Here's some tips and tricks about....
Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Back
Top Bottom