**MOVED TO DUCK THREAD** 6 week muscovies w/small bare areas

mcjerdensfarm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Tishomingo, MS
I was told to post this here to see if I could get any help. I had 7 muscovy duckling that are 5-7 weeks old. The smallest duckling is the only one without any "baldness" problems. They are kept in a movable enclosure and only let out to free range when we can watch them. We haven't changed their diet (Nutrena non-medicated duck feed) and have not noticed any plucking, but all of them seem to be losing their feathers/fluff in small areas on their backs. I didn't know if maybe they are molting--our temps here have been in the mid to upper 90's. One became "sluggish" yesterday afternoon so we removed it and brought it inside. It was eating and drinking but passed away this morning (it may have just been meant to be). Any ideas or advice?

edited and moved pics to Ducks thread

Last edited:
How are your ducklings this a.m.? I know I told you to post here but go ahead and post back in ducks but under a new topic. You may get more hits outside of the Post your Pics thread.
Do you have a vet that could look at one of your ducklings? Also, try googling duck skin diseases. I'll try to check back in later to see if you have received any help.

All of my ducklings are doing fine. Bare spots are still the same, no larger. We've checked them for mites--none. If the spots were not on top of their backs I might think that they were just rubbing up against the sides of their enclosure. These are my first muscovies so I haven't a clue. I will try posting back in ducks when I get back from Tupelo--got to make a feed run
smile.png
. Just hatched out 19 guineas and didn't realize they would eat THAT much. No wonder they can deplete the tick population. As for a vet, mine will be gone on vacation until the 9th.

Back
Top Bottom