Moving chicks to coop

At this age, you can start with a few hours at first, and then tack on a few more each day. If you have snow on the ground in the run area, it might be best to do all the acclimating inside the coop, so they still have exposure to the cooler temps but without the added stress of learning to deal with snow (as many chickens don't like it)
Thank you!

I do have 3 hens in the coop as well but I built a separate enclosure for the chicks to be separated
You'll want to keep them in there for at least a week before attempting full integration.
Hopefully the coop is nice and big and the run is easy to get in and out of both with places for the newbies to get away from the older birds.

You'll want to keep them in there for at least a week before attempting full integration.
Hopefully the coop is nice and big and the run is easy to get in and out of both with places for the newbies to get away from the older birds.
Thanks for the tips. After a week do you think they should be able to be integrated with the others?

Thanks for the tips. After a week do you think they should be able to be integrated with the others?
Maybe. Integrations can be tricky, they can go smooth as silk or be a train wreck.
It's not like adding books to a shelf.
Lots of space with hiding places are key.

Here's some tips about....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

My chicks are 10 weeks old. I live in Ohio, the weather has been inconsistent. One week it’s in the 40s and the next it’s in the low 30s with the mornings sometimes in the 20s. At what age can my chicks be moved to their outdoor coop without any heat source?
I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old stay out without heat in the mid 20's Fahrenheit. Mine were raised in the coop in a big brooder where one end could cool off, sometimes there was ice in it. But the other end was toasty warm. Your 10-week-olds can survive those temperatures. They might be a little more comfortable if they are acclimated so take them out in the cooler temperatures. Observe them. You may find out how little cold temperatures mean to them at that age.

Every article I’ve read says the weather has to consistently stay in the 50s at night for them to be outside. Is that just for chicks who are not fully feathered?
Do you have a link to one of those articles? I'd like to read that in context to try to understand what they are saying. Most chicks are fully feathered at 4 to 5 weeks.

Do you think their feet will get too cold in the snow?
No, no more than the wild birds that overwinter where you are. Chickens don't like change. Many seem to have an aversion to snow, but that is not because it is cold. It is quite a change to them when they wake up to a white world. Mine usually stay in the coop for a couple of days when it snows overnight, but after a couple of days a few start going out in it. One time an inch of snow fell during the day while they were outside. That change was gradual enough that they never bothered going in.

Since chickens don't like change when you start taking them out to acclimate them they may act nervous. That is not due to the cold but the change in location. Give them 15 to 20 minutes. They should acclimate to that change too.

How long do you recommend having them outside at a time?
I don't think there is a time limit at 10 weeks in those temperatures but observe them. If you are uncomfortable with what you are seeing bring them in.

After a week do you think they should be able to be integrated with the others?
Aart is exactly right. Sometimes it is so smooth you wonder what all the worry was. Sometimes it can be a disaster. We don't know what your facilities look like or how you manage your chickens so the best we can do are those generic tips she listed. If you can tell us about your coop and run (things like size in feet and some really helpful photos) and a bit about how you manage them (do they free range or when are the adults locked in the coop) we might be able to give specific detailed suggestions or comment on what you plan. My generic suggestions are to give them as much room as you can and let them proceed at their pace.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom