Mr Speckles F1s Jubilee project - updated w/ lots of pics 8 wks old

Nivrocco, I'd be happy to help you if I can. I am certainly learning a lot as I go through these projects and I feel there is always more to learn. But anything I know, I'm happy to share.

Krys - I have several plans and am not really sure how it will go until I try it. This project is really for fun and a learning experience more than anything.

First, I intend to take some of the best pullets from this group (considering type and color) back to their father (Mr Speckles). That should yield mottled and mille fleur patterned offspring.

I also have a mottled orpington project going separately, which are showing good potential. I will continue that work to improve type and eventually cross the two lines to bring any orp type that is lost from the Mr Speckles breeding back to where it should be.

I have considered breeding the siblings, however I'm still debating if I will do that because it will add a lot of variables that I'm not sure I want to deal with or need to.

Lastly, I am working on yet another project, that I am not prepared to share yet..and they may work within this project to improve orp body conformation even better. That will be further down the road, if I decide to try that approach.

Beautiful birds, reminds me of the Black sex links with speckles. I hope you will be able to retain the Orp characterists and the jubilee color of the Sussex.

I will keep a close eye on this project as well as your Lavender projects. its a huge job, isn't it????

Thanks Cyn!
hugs.gif

Robin, they surely do take a lot of time, money and space. It is almost exhausting some days and the constant movement of birds from smaller pens to bigger space takes a lot of energy, as well as filling feeders and waterers daily. I'll be happy to see things wind down at some point, so I can just sit back and enjoy them, but it will be a while before we get there.

Yes, it can be difficult to breed for type when having outcrossed to another breed when the desired pattern involves a number of genes.

I used our mottleds in with our jubilee wannabes up until this year. Our mottleds still, broadly speaking have better type than our blue jubilees.

Are you going for the proper mille fleur pattern or a more random effect?

My hope is to get to the proper mille color. Your projects sound great too. Do you have any pics of your mottleds or blue jubilees? I'd love to see them. I bet they're beautiful!
love.gif

Cameras.....
barnie.gif

I'd love to be able to take some pics.

The lead has been missing for ages....moved house twice in the last year. Thought we found it last wee. My puter has French operating system so I set up the software.....all in French (I et by but am not fluent)...go to connect & the lead was the wrong one.
he.gif

Perhaps I can buy a new one at a shop.

I don't know about beautiful....I'd sooner call a spade a spade
wink.png
Our blue jubilees are definitely wannabes at the mo
tongue.png
....type's pretty good but lean to being smaller than the mottleds.

Back
Top Bottom