Mr Speckles F1s Jubilee project - updated w/ lots of pics 8 wks old

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
We moved the Mr.Speckles babies outside to their new coop yesterday. They were really scared and will still get a heat lamp out there until our crazy weather gets more consistent, but thought you'd like to see some updated pics. For those who aren't familiar, these are some of our jubilee project birds. We did our first selections and banded some anticipated keepers to continue our work. I will also monitor for body conformation as we continue. I'm really happy because I've already found a local pet home for the pullets we will cull from the project. Enjoy the pics!

editing to add a link to dh's page on the projects, so you can see Mr Speckles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=478-project-jubilee-mottled-orps

041009037.jpg

041009038.jpg

041009042.jpg

041009043.jpg

041009044.jpg

041009045.jpg

041009069.jpg

041009070.jpg

041009072.jpg

041009073.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you're getting the color...how do you go about keeping the body type? I'm really interested in these projects..

The type will be a work in progress through heavy selection and culling.

We used a speckled sussex roo over black orpington hens that carry the mottling gene (from another mottled line we're working on) to produce these chicks.

Katy, aren't they beautiful! Notice the red on some of the roos. There are lots of girls with red on their plumage as well, but it is much less obvious except upon close inspection. I am really pleased with the outcome so far and can't wait till they are grown up.
yippiechickie.gif

I'd like to say that I enjoy your projects and your dedication, I am hoping to eventually have a few projects of my own. I may look to you for advice...providing you don't mind..
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom