1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MUCH larger "run" space (from 48 Sq Ft to 900 Sq Ft)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EmeraldSkye, Mar 10, 2014.

1. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    My 4 girls got a much better space to roam in this past weekend. Here's what they had to begin with:

[​IMG]

The run portion of this predator-proof run is 8 X 12 = 48 Sq Ft.

Then they had this:

[​IMG]

This expanded "day time" (non-predator-proof) run area added 20 x 3 = 60 Sq Ft for a total of 108 Sq Ft.

This past weekend they got this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We enclosed the entire garden area with aviary netting. Now they have an extra 37 X 23 = 851 Sq Ft of "run" space on top of the original 48 Sq Ft of original predator-proof run for a grand total of 899 square feet of "run" space. Yahoo!! The girls and I are very happy. The garden accessibility will flux as I start planting. I'll have to block them from certain planting areas but they should still have nothing to complain about even then. And this way I can also plant some space with them in mind - let something like kale (which they love) grow big enough and then let them have at it. Any suggestions for live plantings for the girls?

2. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maybe even a small grass patch for them? Let the square grow, then give them access for a few days, then let it grow. Free lawn mowers. [​IMG] Of course, I don't know how interested they'll be in grass with goodies around them, but it could be an option while everything else is growing in your garden.

Beautiful garden, by the way! I have no green thumb whatsoever, so I can only envy you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    Thank you what a great idea. I can go get some ready-to-plant sod, lay it down for a couple of weeks until the roots take, and then let the chickens get to it. Or plant grass seed but that will take longer. I can do that in pathways or even in garden beds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by