MUCH larger "run" space (from 48 Sq Ft to 900 Sq Ft)

EmeraldSkye

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
San Jose, California
My 4 girls got a much better space to roam in this past weekend. Here's what they had to begin with:

The run portion of this predator-proof run is 8 X 12 = 48 Sq Ft.

Then they had this:

This expanded "day time" (non-predator-proof) run area added 20 x 3 = 60 Sq Ft for a total of 108 Sq Ft.

This past weekend they got this:

We enclosed the entire garden area with aviary netting. Now they have an extra 37 X 23 = 851 Sq Ft of "run" space on top of the original 48 Sq Ft of original predator-proof run for a grand total of 899 square feet of "run" space. Yahoo!! The girls and I are very happy. The garden accessibility will flux as I start planting. I'll have to block them from certain planting areas but they should still have nothing to complain about even then. And this way I can also plant some space with them in mind - let something like kale (which they love) grow big enough and then let them have at it. Any suggestions for live plantings for the girls?

Maybe even a small grass patch for them? Let the square grow, then give them access for a few days, then let it grow. Free lawn mowers.
big_smile.png
Of course, I don't know how interested they'll be in grass with goodies around them, but it could be an option while everything else is growing in your garden.

Beautiful garden, by the way! I have no green thumb whatsoever, so I can only envy you.

Last edited:
Maybe even a small grass patch for them? Let the square grow, then give them access for a few days, then let it grow. Free lawn mowers.
big_smile.png
Of course, I don't know how interested they'll be in grass with goodies around them, but it could be an option while everything else is growing in your garden.

Beautiful garden, by the way! I have no green thumb whatsoever, so I can only envy you.

Thank you what a great idea. I can go get some ready-to-plant sod, lay it down for a couple of weeks until the roots take, and then let the chickens get to it. Or plant grass seed but that will take longer. I can do that in pathways or even in garden beds.

Back
Top Bottom