Multiple Coops, shared run? Silkies...

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
My wife wants silkies. I don't want to take the chance of a poor integration on a bird that has the deck stacked against it from the angle of the exposed brain, the lack of roost, possibly impeded vision from the crest...

So, if there is a big enough run, say 20 sf/bird, and a separate coop for them, will that work to help everyone get along, or do they really need a different run?

Current flock is 5, all approximately 6 weeks old, but I intend to cull the Cornish Rocks soon. Speckled Sussex, Dominique, Americauna, two meat birds mentioned above...

I have all bantams, and they do occasionally bully eachother and tear out each others feathers even though the mean birds sleep in their own coop with a shared run. I think they’d be fine, especially if you trimmed the crests so they could see attackers coming. You’d be surprised how fiesty the mini chickens can be!

Excited city gal done with raising Parrots now enjoying my last time raising my youngest set of twins & a couple of chickens(3-4)

So, if there is a big enough run, say 20 sf/bird, and a separate coop for them, will that work to help everyone get along, or do they really need a different run?
It might...would be good to be able to split the run too.

Back
Top Bottom