Murray McMurray chick delivery

Poor girl, she's very pretty.

I don't really know of anything else off the top of my head.

Since she is already being treated, she will *probably* recover. I would think since you caught it before seeing the puffed sleepiness. 1 that got that far for me did recover!

I wanna say the first time I had to treat I also saw some that didn't recover as fast and so took a sample to the vet to ensure I was treating the right thing, which they did confirm (as well as offer to sell me another med). Since I feed fermented feed, I had to learn to adjust my dosing level to make up for the extra water they don't drink. So even though I still saw initial decline, I did still get recovery. Of course as individuals it's hard to say who will or won't be strong enough. But I think it was just a delayed display of the symptoms or rather the symptoms were still progressing during the start up of treatment. (I can't figure out the right way to word it)

We are all learning as we go along. All hatcheries have some death when shipping. None that I know of have control over their parent stock. It is contracted through other farms and the hatchery just hatches/sells/ships. A lot of breeders, myself included use a higher protein feed because it provides more nutrients to the hatching chicks therefor more viability. But that's not to say that layer feed is bad or insufficient. One source of feeding info..
http://articles.extension.org/pages/69065/feeding-chickens-for-egg-production

And 1 more...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

Agreed, the vaccine was probably another stress. I can rarely get my young chicks to do it, but you might try some boiled smashed egg or scrambled egg as a source of good nutrients that *might* encourage eating.

But more than eating, I would ensure she is drinking the corid water regularly. If you don't see her drink every hour or so, I would either dip her beak or drip drops from my finger tip just below the nostril and when the liquid rolls around the beak the chick should gobble/swallow. They don't usually die of starvation, but dehydration is deadly.

I'm not sure, I might still consider bringing in some soil right now. It may add more bacteria to the mix and be another stressor. Or they may be so happy to dirt bathe that it aids in recovery. Of course the puffed up one won't be dirt bathing. But maybe all the happy energy will help. :confused:

Guess I might also consider feeding out some yogurt or anything else that is laden with probiotics since *as far as I know* that shouldn't effect the Corid.

Hang in there and don't give up. :hugs

I have lost too many shipped chicks, I will try to avoid it in the future. Seeing my own chicks hatch really has been an awakening to how hard it can be on them. And when they first pop out of the egg, it's hard to tell for sure if they will live or not. Some don't. But since hatcheries ship them ASAP to get them to their destination, they won't likely know until it's reported by the customer. Even with good stock, some are born weaker than others. :(

Disinterest in food is part of the illness. The coccidia are attacking the intestines and that is where the blood comes from. Imagine if you would feel like eating when your guts hurt and you have the trots. :sick

Plain white rice is fairly easy to digest and often of interest to the little guys. Though I wouldn't do it much, it *might* give your girl a little energy.

Come on little chick, let's see some recovery! :fl

@EggSighted4Life I am so glad yours made it. Thank you for the glimmer of hope!! I bookmarked those sites - After getting my first chicks last spring, I have become addicted to learning everything chicken related, lol. Going to try the scrambled egg and drip the water every hour.

OK just as you predicted, she wasn't interested in food (not even eggs or rice). I have been dropping a couple drops of Corid water onto her beak every hour. Even though I haven't been handling them much for fear they would get sick, she is still really friendly with me (or probably too tired to run) so it wasn't hard.

Anyways, it seems to be working :)! It has now been almost 50 hours since I first treated them and she JUST walked out on her own a few minutes ago and took a long drink and then started pecking her food!!! I think I can breathe again!

I will keep you updated once I know more, but thank you soooo much for the advice and sharing your own experience with this. I don't think I can put it into words how happy this little chick has made me just by drinking and eating and I have you to thank! :hugs

@EggSighted4Life

I apologize for not telling you this Monday, but it has been a hard couple day. I ended up going to bed on Sunday and my little hatchery chick was eating and drinking. She was still slow to walk and often took breaks to sleep under the brooder but, at least every hour, I saw that she was actively pecking around. When I woke up Monday morning (2 days and 16 hours after initial treatment), I found her all alone, eyes closed, huddled under the brooder while the other chicks were flying and running around their pen. She was making these very sad little peeps like she was in pain/calling for her mom, I am not sure. I moved her over to the water and after a few minutes, she reached her neck out and took a couple little drinks. Then she tried hard to walk back to the brooder but shook as she tried to pick up her leg and couldn't get more than one step without taking a break to sleep. I tried to get her to drink or eat something more but she didn't want anything. One of the other chicks zoomed past her at one point during this and she fell on her side and just laid there. I had a really bad feeling at that point and figured that she should at least get to pass in comfort and placed her back underneath the brooder. I propped her up with some pine shavings so she was in a little nest and walked away :C... She passed sometime in the next 30minutes.

This experience has been a roller-coaster of heartbreak but, for the first time, I feel that I did everything I could and I just wanted to thank you personally because you gave me a lot of great advice which gave her the best chance possible.

I have never experienced cocci before but I think since she was the first to show symptoms, and being a hatchery chick that already is weak, that she just didn't have it in her to survive this. I know now not to trust the cocci vaccine to protect them!!!

In the future, I am going either buy chicks/let my broody hens raise eggs from breeders who truly care about their flock and feed them higher protein feed as you do! You opened my eyes to that and just wanted to thank you again!

Last edited:
Ah, sorry for your loss. :hugs

I truly believe you did all you could to! Many folks on here have experienced the same roller coaster.

I promise you my way is not the only right way. But doing what seems to make sense to you is best. And switch it up if your learn something new that doesn't line up. :)

Usually takes me a short while to recover from a chick loss and not worry about losing others. But once it passes the joy of all those little zooming babes should start to fill in. :love

Also, please note.. I have been pretty disappointed with some of my breeder chicks. Specifically in regards to meeting the standards of perfection (and some bent toes). But my daughter and I both note that their chicks are *often* bigger and hardier from breeders though. Don't know if I mentioned it already.. but I have driven a little more than 3 hours each way to get chicks and it was worth it. We just plan a day of it and have a nice lunch before picking them up.

Seeing how weak chicks are when they hatch, it's a wonder that ANY make it through shipping.

Glad your other chickies are zoomers! :wee

Back
Top Bottom