Muscovy ducks have good night vision, and here's a short clip to prove it

Henrik Petersson

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Karlskrona, Sweden
One time last summer, I'd been away, came home late and noticed that the food-bowl among the half-grown muscovy ducklings was empty. "Rats", I thought; "Poor ducks". And I decided to fill up their bowl for them to gorge in the next morning, when the light was up. For surely they wouldn't eat the same night, right? Sure, I'd read that ducks were different from chickens in that whereas chickens are pretty much blind in the darkness and won't budge a millimeter from their spot on the roost until sunset, ducks occasionally rise and walk around a little and possibly even eat at night. But this particular night, it was almost pitch-black outside. A tiny bit of moonlight - or perhaps light from some far-away lamp, I don't remember - illuminated things just enough for me to make out the white underbellies of the ducks, and the empty food bowl.

Anyway, I picked up the empty bowl and walked away to fill it. When I came back, a downright spooky scene awaited me: All 20-something ducklings had arisen from their sleeping spots and were standing still just inside the gate, looking up at me with their little eyes through the fence. Shaking off thoughts of films by Hitchcock or Spielberg, I walked in, and put the full bowl down.

They had obviously seen me walk away with the bowl, deduced that I would bring them more food (clever little buggers), and seen me come back. And now, they positively threw themselves on the food, and gorged, as vigorously as if it were broad daylight. No careful feeling around in the dark with the beak in order to not accidentally ram it into the wrong spot, just whamming it into the pellets.

I shot a little clip of it. Note that they're illuminated by my phone here:

Another duck keeper told me that he, anecdotally, had noticed that scovies seem to have better night-vision than ordinary ducks. Now, I know little of ordinary ducks, but our scovies certainly seem to have about as good night vision as humans, at least.

I did notice with any duck in general they seem to be very visual creatures, spotting a fly and chasing it down or watching the sky for flying things... My ducks though, also respond to the sound of the food bowl or my feet if they’re in the house and can’t see me- they start to get excited! I put my ducks’ food and water away at night and bring it out in the morning- if I take too long they start to get demanding and quack to get let out of their coop!

After having chickens for decades, I got my first ducks (Welsh Harlequins) about a year ago. It was a big surprise to discover how much more active at night they are than chickens.
Off-topic, but Welsh Harlequin would be my second choice of duck. Absolutely stunning birds, and I've read they lay a crap-ton of eggs.

I really tried to do my homework, and started small, just a drake and three ducks. They have lived up to all the good things you read about them, with one exception. The breeder and I tried to pick newly hatched ducklings based on bill color to get the sex ratio I wanted, but it didn't work for us. On the first try I got three drakes and one duck, and that would have been a disaster.

BTW, I almost got Muscovies instead, but wanted more eggs and didn't want ducks that fly. Muscovies are still really cool!

What really sold muscovies for me was their supposed smaller need for water compared to common ducks, which is good because we don't live near a natural body of water. They certainly didn't disappoint in that regard - they take a dip at most once a month.

However, their insistence on sleeping outdoors in frigid weathers and freezing their caruncles, a personality that's so laid-back that they are downright boring, and their annoyingly high reproduction rate, sometimes make me wish I'd chosen differently.

We have a mild climate so that isn't a problem; there are feral populations of Muscovies in some city parks. I do live in the city, and a 10 pound duck flying over the fence would not make me popular with the neighbors.

The WHs are pretty reliable about going into their coop/night pen at night. This is necessary, because despite living in the city, we have lots of predators in the area.

Back
Top Bottom