What was mean about him? Was he mean to you or did he aggressively breed, or…?
He was mean to the girls. I placed a duck in the pen with him and his sister. He pulled the the girl down to keep her from getting away and he and his sister attacked her and tried to pull out her blood feathers. Had I not seen it myself, I probably wouldn't have believed it. I know there is some aggression when adding new birds so I quarentine for up to 30 days before putting new birds together. They can mingle through cages. I gave him a second chance but he had it out for her and tried it over and over. That's not a bird I want breeding. With me he was pretty good but I don't take much crap from birds.
My chocolate drake used to break up squabbles between the girls and protect newbies. Totally different birds

He was mean to the girls. I placed a duck in the pen with him and his sister. He pulled the the girl down to keep her from getting away and he and his sister attacked her and tried to pull out her blood feathers. Had I not seen it myself, I probably wouldn't have believed it. I know there is some aggression when adding new birds so I quarentine for up to 30 days before putting new birds together. They can mingle through cages. I gave him a second chance but he had it out for her and tried it over and over. That's not a bird I want breeding. With me he was pretty good but I don't take much crap from birds.
My chocolate drake used to break up squabbles between the girls and protect newbies. Totally different birds
Dang! I’ve heard that males can have aggression, and that it can get pretty bad. I’m hoping my male turns out to be an okay dude. I have four females for him, but it’ll all depend once they reach sexual maturity I guess. I’m assuming there’s no preventative shortcuts like holding him more? In order to help with possible aggression?

My Muscovy drake will chase his females down and stand on them or mate with them but he doesn't harm them. But be prepared for him to be that aggressive. Now the girls can really be ornery when broody I have to sometimes separate my broodies from the rest of the flock at night because they won't want any of the other females in their house because they can be hateful.

My Muscovy drake will chase his females down and stand on them or mate with them but he doesn't harm them. But be prepared for him to be that aggressive. Now the girls can really be ornery when broody I have to sometimes separate my broodies from the rest of the flock at night because they won't want any of the other females in their house because they can be hateful.
Hmm… I wonder if that is why so many people are opposed to getting Muscovies? I mean that’s just how they act so I understand, but I’ve heard a lot of people say they don’t want Muscovies because they are mean.

Aw, is it molting time already? On the one hand, I’m sad as it feels like winter just ended. On the other hand, it’s smart of my white Muscovy hen to not wait until the cold hits as it does so hard and fast here. Forgive the dirty water. It was sparkly clean when I left for work!

Attachments

• FBCF3710-9D36-4ADB-A2D2-736202969BAC.jpeg
    FBCF3710-9D36-4ADB-A2D2-736202969BAC.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 5D7FD9E3-BF43-4C18-95F6-859EB89D3BE1.jpeg
    5D7FD9E3-BF43-4C18-95F6-859EB89D3BE1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Aw, is it molting time already? On the one hand, I’m sad as it feels like winter just ended. On the other hand, it’s smart of my white Muscovy hen to not wait until the cold hits as it does so hard and fast here. Forgive the dirty water. It was sparkly clean when I left for work!
I believe it! It took my ducklings like an hour to get their water all nasty. Since they are getting their feathers in right now there are flakes all over the place. Ha!

I think from things I have read on here my Muscovy drake is not near as hard on females as some other domestic breeds. Never in all the years that I had more than 1 Muscovy Drake did they ever gang up on a female they would not even get into the pool if another drake was in there with a female. The reason I kept them separated in their own spaces with their own females was because of just fighting or chasing each other, mainly fighting. Muscovy fighting isn't like pushing and shoving it can get very bloody and before I managed to get Ernie home with us another Muscovy that was with him at the river killed another drake. We saw the attacks but couldn't get to them because of the steep sides going to the river. Finally, the one that was being attacked got down towards our part of the river where I could get to him and I brought him home, He was dead the next morning probably of internal injuries. Then this one who killed was determined to kill Ernie that is why he came home to live with us. I wanted to adopt him anyway my girls adored him. I had befriended all 3 of these Muscovy drakes and I have no idea what caused Bert to go crazy like he did. It was very sad. My dh killed him. Maybe I shouldn't say that but I honestly didn't want him back up at the house. I kept multiple Muscovy drakes from 2005 till 2016 I had 3 still in 2016 and I was very blessed to find great homes for those 2 boys separate homes with their very own females.
Now my Muscovy drake I have now can get pretty obsessed with biting me at times, And I have to put a stop to it pretty quick. I lay him down on his belly and hold him like that similar to how another drake does one. I put my hand behind his neck to keep him from biting and either put my knee on to his back [not hurting him] Just enough pressure so he cannot get up or Put my other hand on his back to hold him down. Once he stops fighting me I let him up if he starts again I start again. lol I WIN. lol Of all the drakes I have had Opie is the only one that is like this. All the other were raised by mamas except Ernie well actually I don't know about Ernie since I don't know about him before the people across the river let them go. But all my other drakes never once tried to bite me. Ernie use to wait till I was leaving their area and once I turned my back I could hear his webbed feet coming behind me but he never touch me. It was quite funny though. But Opie I hand raised after his Mama rejected him.
Sorry didn't mean to write a book, Just wanted to say My experience with Muscovy drakes has been enjoyable actually.

Last edited:
I think from things I have read on here my Muscovy drake is not near as hard on females as some other domestic breeds. Never in all the years that I had more than 1 Muscovy Drake did they ever gang up on a female they would not even get into the pool if another drake was in there with a female. The reason I kept them separated in their own spaces with their own females was because of just fighting or chasing each other, mainly fighting. Muscovy fighting isn't like pushing and shoving it can get very bloody and before I managed to get Ernie home with us another Muscovy that was with him at the river killed another drake. We saw the attacks but couldn't get to them because of the steep sides going to the river. Finally, the one that was being attacked got down towards our part of the river where I could get to him and I brought him home, He was dead the next morning probably of internal injuries. Then this one who killed was determined to kill Ernie that is why he came home to live with us. I wanted to adopt him anyway my girls adored him. I had befriended all 3 of these Muscovy drakes and I have no idea what caused Bert to go crazy like he did. It was very sad. My dh killed him. Maybe I shouldn't say that but I honestly didn't want him back up at the house. I kept multiple Muscovy drakes from 2005 till 2016 I had 3 still in 2016 and iI was very blessed to find great homes for those 2 boys separate homes with their very own females.
Now my Muscovy drake I have now can get pretty obsessed with biting me at times, And I have to put a stop to it pretty quick. I lay him down on his belly and hold him like that similar to how another drake does one. I put my hand behind his neck to keep him from biting and either put my knee on to his back [not hurting him] Just enough pressure so he cannot get up or Put my other hand on his back to hold him down. Once he stops fighting me I let him up if he starts again I start again. lol I WIN. lol Of all the drakes I have had Opie is the only one that is like this. All the other were raised by mamas except Ernie well actually I don't know about Ernie since I don't know about him before the people across the river let them go. But all my other drakes never once tried to bite me. Ernie use to wait till I was leaving their area and once I turned my back I could hear his webbed feet coming behind me but he never touch me. It was quite funny though. But Opie I hand raised after his Mama rejected him.
Sorry didn't mean to write a book, Just wanted to say My experience with Muscovy drakes has been enjoyable actually.
I loved reading your "book". Keep the stories coming!

Back
Top Bottom