Ok, so sorry for the scare, but I had to get the whole story. So, we have neighbors who don't have land for their goats. We have lots of pasture because we had goats., so we rent to them. Anyway, it has been a huge contention with them because their son is the one who "cares" for the goats. Well, this teen has been going to do the goat duties at night. Ridiculous! Even negectful, as far as I am concerned. So last night, he came without informing us and passed by the dog yard which got my dogs excited. They ended up escaping, and headed down to our open ponds area. They chased the duck pair and the babies for almost 3 hours before my husband could get them home and tied up!! It is only a miracle from God that ALL the ducks were found and safe! We have been trying to enclose the ponds, but it is a big area. Now, of course, it is top priority.
Wouldn't you know, this all happened after a beautiful summery day we spent down at the ponds cleaning out the duck weed and making it easier for the ducks to swim. We also found out that our tilapia are actually growing, even though we hadn't seen any big ones. My husband threw out a net and lo and behold there are plenty of big ones! I probably shouldn't have used the "masacre" word, but I got a vivid memory of our turkeys about 12 years ago that were attacked by dogs. That incident didn't turn out near as well.
That's my story. Hoping I will have a better story to tell soon.

I had a little scare this morning. I have a German Shepherd who is 8 months, but I’ve only had him for about 2 months. Didn’t really get to work with him as a small pup. Long story short he ended up getting in the duck pen, then my Collie followed him in and kept him away from the ducks. Phew!

Ya’ll are making me nervous lol!
The drake in my pic is the total opposite to the other drake I had. I do Not handle my ducks other than to vet them. Making life on equal ground with a drake could spell trouble. You have to remember muscovy have claws and they can use them well. The brown drake hated to be picked up and those wings are strong. He would nip if given the chance so holding the neck is necessary.
I breed for temperament with all I raise. I have quail chicks right now where I'm separating the nasty boys, however pretty they are, from boys who are easier going, will be good cage mates and kind to the girls. In raising anything I try and find balance. It's your job to pick wisely and have a back up plan if what you picked doesn't turn out.

The drake in my pic is the total opposite to the other drake I had. I do Not handle my ducks other than to vet them. Making life on equal ground with a drake could spell trouble. You have to remember muscovy have claws and they can use them well. The brown drake hated to be picked up and those wings are strong. He would nip if given the chance so holding the neck is necessary.
I breed for temperament with all I raise. I have quail chicks right now where I'm separating the nasty boys, however pretty they are, from boys who are easier going, will be good cage mates and kind to the girls. In raising anything I try and find balance. It's your job to pick wisely and have a back up plan if what you picked doesn't turn out.
Speaking of which. I found out yesterday that they have claws…lol. One of the ducklings was stuck and had to help them out.
1575A311-7479-400F-8515-6D80914A4207.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom