I know my poultry are safe with my dogs as long as no one is peeping but peeping really bring out the prey drive. [Dachshunds]
I have wondered if it is possible to get a dog that is good with birds and would protect them from predators, including my escapees. I wonder which is the best breed of dog for that?
I had a little scare this morning. I have a German Shepherd who is 8 months, but I’ve only had him for about 2 months. Didn’t really get to work with him as a small pup. Long story short he ended up getting in the duck pen, then my Collie followed him in and kept him away from the ducks. Phew!
Wow!! Interesting you mention a Collie. I have heard they are great for protecting animals. So I thought maybe that would be a good breed to get for my ducks.

Livestock guardian dogs is what you want to look up. Still training involved of course.
Whats breeds do you have @CRmuscovy
Do you mind me asking are ya'll native to Costa Rica?
you can tell me to mind my own business I promise it's okay. lol

I have wondered if it is possible to get a dog that is good with birds and would protect them from predators, including my escapees. I wonder which is the best breed of dog for that?

Wow!! Interesting you mention a Collie. I have heard they are great for protecting animals. So I thought maybe that would be a good breed to get for my ducks.
My Collie is great with my poultry. She was also great with the rabbits I used to have as well. I don’t know if it helped, but I would put chicks and other animal babies on her so she would get used to them :)

Livestock guardian dogs is what you want to look up. Still training involved of course.
Whats breeds do you have @CRmuscovy
Do you mind me asking are ya'll native to Costa Rica?
you can tell me to mind my own business I promise it's okay. lol
Idon't mind the question at all. I am from TX and my husband is from FL. We moved down in '92. Our daughter was born here. We have two Pit-Am Standford mixes, male and female.

I have a chihuahua and half daushund and boston terrier that share the yard with my ducks. When the ducks are babies I have to keep them away from them but once they are grown there is no problem as I have trained them to leave them alone. They would take on anything that would enter their yard area though if it were to be another animal. Both dogs are great with the grown ducks. If you can work with your dogs and teach them it helps a lot. My dogs were great with my free range rabbits too but only because I worked with them a lot. It was not their instinct to be good to them but they learned. They see to know I love my ducks just like I love them and they all get along.

Reading all the Muscovy duck threads and came across this one…have to share my baby pic of a newly hatched Muscovy!! ❤️
2BAFAD5B-86D1-4E53-AF2F-1B61F6B39034.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom