muscovy... OMG it hurts

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
Well I went and picked up a pair of muscovies today. Never again will I deal with a bird that huge with claws that long. Those claws went through my heavy duty leather gloves, and I'm bleeding from multiple puncture wounds. I was trying to get him into the makeshift quarantine pen downstairs and he would have nothing to do with it. He's now running around with the rest of the flock, and I'll never be able catch him again, I am sure. I sure hope he is disease free.

The female is pretty and sweet enough, but I don't think I like claws on my birds. She better be a good incubator this spring!

The younger ones, like three months old, have even sharper claws. Like puppy teeth.

Strong suckers, huh? Hope you are good on your tetanus shots.

Oh I'm so sorry. I absolutely love my muscovies, but they do have some ferocious claws. I promise, that's not a common occurrence. I've caught and fooled with mine many, many times, with only minor scratches that didn't even break the skin. And I'm not exactly graceful or overly coordinated....

I hope you heal up quickly.

hugs.gif

I dont handle my 4 m/o scovie girl but these babies love to sit on my arm like pirate birds. Im going to have to go and buy gloves.

Heck, my non scovies leave scars all up and down my arms.

Yes that drake is one strong dude. He's not aggressive, just doesn't want to be handled... fair enough. I don't think I want to keep him. I don't like not being able to handle an animal if a situation comes up that requires it. Yes, I am up on tetanus.

My other ducks are afraid to death of them. Hopefully that will work out soon.

I only wanted a female, but they came as a pair.

Owee!
sad.png

My girl laid me open by accident when she lost her grip perching on my arm. I file her nails with an emery board every now and then when they start getting too sharp....but I know thats not an option for most. I feel for you. They hurt even when they're not trying to....

Learning how to handle the muscovies helps a lot. The claws are to be AVOIDED at all costs. LOL I don't wear gloves for protection, but am very careful how I pick them up and hold them. Hold wings securely so they don't flap you hard and keep hands back and above the feet so they can't catch your hand with their claws. Then a good snug "football tuck" to carry them. Not too hard with a duck, but those big drakes can be tricky.

Those baby claws are just like sharp velcro. Clings to anything and everything. Even skin.

And if you haven't seen them climb a fence yet, those claws do a great job of getting the bird over a tall fence. I think the only difference between a cat and a muscovy is the outer cover - fur and feathers. LOL

Other than the claws, they are so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom