Mute swans and Black swans in Australia?

animalz11

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
QLD Australia
Hi, I've done a bit of research but google isn't very useful for what I'm after.

I was wondering if I could get a license for Black swans in Australia, well, more specifically, Queensland.

I've read that to own Mute Swans you do not need a license, and that Black swans are legally hunted in NZ, so, I figured if they are hunted in NZ, they could be owned in NZ, and if they could be owned in NZ, they could be owned in QLD.

I 'm also interested in Mute Swans, but I don't have very good grass/soil so digging a pond or such would be a pain, but... I have ducks so if I do this could the swans and the ducks get along? I have 3 hens and 2 drakes (I'm pretty sure, only 2 months old), 2 Muscovy hens, 1 Khaki Cambell hen and 1 Khaki Cambell and Pekin Drakes.

So any links on info would be great, or if you know the rules and regulations that would be egg-celent too!

And maybe the requirements for housing, like ducks but bigger and taller?

Thanks,

I've been told Swans need a actual pond. Kiddie pools would not work for them. If you can't dig a nice sized pond then I would probably vote against them. Also, I've seen mute swans down here try to drown ducks and geese especially during breeding season.

I raised my mute swans in a pen with a kiddy pool from Walmart.They get along well with the ducks.During breeding season they will chase the ducks but have never hurt one.The large male becomes quite aggressive with us for three months in the spring.They need at least 2 feet of water to breed,I have moved mine to the large pond, this was done when they got white feathers..They are pinioned and walk between the house and the pond frequently.They have become quite tame and we have not lost any of our small ducks to predators since getting the swans.I really like having them. They do not tolerate geese though.

Wow that is a beautiful set-up.
Pitty they are so expensive. But I think people like the idea of the elegance of swans then the actual care of them, pitty.

Thank you so much for all the info guys!

Its crazy how expensive they are. The black swans are easy to breed and prolific. I looked into getting a pair, but could not justify spending that amount of money. I have a large natural pond / lake and everything! They would have been idea as they are QUIET - my neighbours do not like any noise, so this rules out a pair of white geese instead!!!!!!!

Yes, they are very expensive. Crazy. But if people could get them like they get ducks or chickens, then they would be abused.

I've noticed that with common/easy to get animals like dogs, cats ect, get abused more. You always hear of cases of dog and cat abuse, puppy farms, cat piercings, but never of swam abuse. So, I guess it's good that they are expensive.

Blacks here in US normally are less expensive than whites. If you can find them.as.cygnets they are more affordable causing raising them up can be time consuming. Blacks tolerate other fowl better than the whites and spend more time out of the water grazing. I enjoy my blacks very much.....they are very personal.

I got my mute swans from waterfowl rescue in Indian Trail NC.They drive to Michigan and rescue the swans being culled.Mine are actually less upkeep than my wood ducks.They are so large they stay on the pond and lack predators.They also protect the mallards and pekings.I just feed then purina crumbles and they basicaly take care of themselves.Of all my birds they are my favorite.At the waterfowl rescue the one mute I bought was only 250.Nice organization and nice woman running it.

I got my mute swans from waterfowl rescue in Indian Trail NC.They drive to Michigan and rescue the swans being culled.Mine are actually less upkeep than my wood ducks.They are so large they stay on the pond and lack predators.They also protect the mallards and pekings.I just feed then purina crumbles and they basicaly take care of themselves.Of all my birds they are my favorite.At the waterfowl rescue the one mute I bought was only 250.Nice organization and nice woman running it.
aww.... why were they being culled?

They are killed because mute swans are not native and they can be very damaging to natural waterways.They eat pounds of vegetation a day and destroy eco systems for native fish and wild life.They are not illegal to own in Tennessee but responisble owners always pinion them and any young they produce so they can't escape into the wild.In some northern states in the spring they are killed as are any cygnets.It is a big debate.

Back
Top Bottom