My 13week pullet is sitting in nesting boxes. Will she be an early layer?

OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
I’ll be honest this is my first personal flock, but I’ve help raise chickens plenty of times with my parents for eggs and meat. I wasn’t expecting any eggs or laying behaviors for at least a month or so but one of my Rhode Island Reds started sitting in the nesting boxes. Also her comb and wattle are definitely starting to get much redder than my other RIR and any of my other chickens. Will she possibly be an early layer?

Attachments

• 0978B7BB-B502-4FFE-9AC4-FAB7B4CBCFBE.jpeg
    0978B7BB-B502-4FFE-9AC4-FAB7B4CBCFBE.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 9910B2CD-620E-474F-9E0B-FD60ED808403.jpeg
    9910B2CD-620E-474F-9E0B-FD60ED808403.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 27
I’ll be honest this is my first personal flock, but I’ve help raise chickens plenty of times with my parents for eggs and meat. I wasn’t expecting any eggs or laying behaviors for at least a month or so but one of my Rhode Island Reds started sitting in the nesting boxes. Also her comb and wattle are definitely starting to get much redder than my other RIR and any of my other chickens. Will she possibly be an early layer?
Looks a lot like it!

I honestly had some lay and check out the nesting boxes for about a month before laying. I'm thinking if she just started it should be soon so your prediction might not be off. Or she might poop out an egg tonight lol
I think it may still be a while. Did she squat? That comb is still quite pale.

Back
Top Bottom