My 7 month old Cockerel Cuckoo Maran Comb Black

iecorzu

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
His comb has a strange black thing on some of the tips, I’m not sure what it is. It is very cold outside, but he is a cold hardy breed, so I am not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpeg
    IMG_1561.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 35
I'm sorry you're dealing with that. We're having the same issue with 3 single combed roosters. They are under a year old and supposed to be cold hardy. We haven't even reached single digits yet, but I learned that wind chill is huge. Do most of you bring your roosters inside when this happens? And if so, at what temperature, do you let them back into the coop?

This roo has it the worse. But he is miserable away from his flock. I've been advised to bring him inside until the temperature is in the 50s, but that may be some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 8
do i have to cut his comb off? what should i do?
If you go to rooster allies on fb, they have some posts about how to care for frostbite. Basically you're not supposed to put anything on it once it sets in. Don't trim it, but they did suggest meloxicam for pain. However, I also saw a blog on Mana pro that suggest you can use hen healer gently if it's still mild. I think one of my roosters is in a more severe stage now. Today I can see the tips look like they are drying up and will fall off. I got some meloxicam from my vet, though I haven't used it much because it seems like my rooster really hated it. I was worried he may have had a reaction as he was twisting his head a lot the next morning, but then it stopped.

Back
Top Bottom