My babies wont stop chirping!

It isn't your fault. Your not the kind of person who would do that kind of thing. The heat lamp BROKE! It happens to the best of us.

Is there anyway you could maybe rent a heat lamp? Or maybe you could sell something on Craigslist.

I do agree the chicks are probably cold. But people on here should be trying to help, not accuse. It isn't your fault.

You could post an ad on Craigslist "looking to borrow a heat lamp"

Good Luck!

Love, Peachesbabychick

Alright, lets stop beating the kid up!!! Duckgirl89 the chicks will carry on when you disturb them or see you because they have imprinted and think you are their Mother hence chirping and carrying on. If they are non stop chirping you have to find out if it is lack of food, water, warmth, or too hot. They cannot go outside until they are feathered which is 6 to 8 weeks. I pray your mom will spring for a light bulb before it is too late. Hope this helps honey?

Do you maybe have a regular light bulb that you could use for now? The higher the wattage the better. Is the holder for your heat lamp still intact? If you could put a 100 watt bulb in there that would be better than nothing, I would imagine.

Is there anyone in your area that you know that has chickens? They might have a heat lamp bulb that they are not currently using...?

Edited to add: You mentioned that your room is really warm. Before we assume that it's the heat issue, do you have a thermometer in the brooder at chick level? If so, what's the temp currently in the brooder?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you. And thanks peaches.

My mom is going out today to get me a light
wee.gif

Plus, my mom let me "barrow" her silkie hen and she went broody and is sitting on them
wee.gif
I put them outside in a insolated brooder with a insolated chick house, and the hen is snuggleing them as much as she can. Her butt is kinda small, but she is useing her wings to keep them close. She is doing so good. And get this! She isnt even laying eggs yet!

Yay Chicks! :

Wow. That's an awesome silkie!

I know! She just brought them out of the chick house and is teaching them to scratch. Heres a pic...
89286_2011-12-12_123048.jpg

If she's willing to sit on them and such.. you probably don't even need the light anymore. She'll do all the 'work' of keeping them warm. I have some chicks that hatched out of a broody and I don't have a heat lamp on them, but they just go under her when they're cold and come out, eat, drink, and play when they're warm.

Before when I raised chicks without a hen, I used an ecoglow brooder.. it was wonderful! There were no noisy, piercing peeps unless I let the food or water run out or took someone where the others couldn't see them. We kept them in the living room and they were active during the day but it was all "quiet, happy chick chatter". The tv on a reasonable volume or something cooking on the stove could drown them out. My parents were surprised at how quiet they were.. when we turned off the lights at night, they went right to sleep and you wouldn't hear a peep outta them until sunrise.

The thing with heat lamps is that it doesn't put the chicks on a day/night cycle. Instead they're on a tired/awake cycle. They sleep when they're tired, play when they aren't. I love my ecoglow and will always use it instead of a light.

I didn't read all the posts but indoors and in a small brooder a regular bulb is sufficient. IMO they peep more when cold or hot. When comfy they nap.
If your coop is heated they're probably good out there now with a regular bulb.
I never brood indoors unless there's just one or two, regardless of time of year.

The reason I still want a light is because her butt is small, and they cant all fit under her comfy...

Back
Top Bottom