My big fat chicken fight

littlegorb

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Republic of Bayard
i should have started this months ago but i'm a procrastinator so.....anyway. i got busted for having illegal chickens. at the time i got the citation they were just chicks. the police officer pulls up as i'm watering my front lawn, wants to see my driver's license. i refused as i wasn't driving. well it's because of your chickens he says. to make a long story short.......i refused to sign the citation, he calls for backup, they said if i did not sign then they would arrest me. so they did. beings they cannot arrest me for that charge, the officer turns around enroute to jail, and takes me back home. so i pleaded not guilty, had a motion for discovery hearing last wednesday, and this wednesday i have a trial. i am representing myself. i have a note from my physician recommending i keep my chickens as they lower my blood pressure, stress, and give me comfort. when i presented this note to the city office, the chief of police said to put up a pen and he would overlook it. the clerk says no, pulls out the ordinance book and shows the ordinance banning fowl. they got a good laugh out of the dr's note. btw i have 6 hens, no roosters. i started a petition and got over 30 signatures, mostly people in my immediate neighborhood, asking that our city leaders change the ordinance to allow hens, enclosed, no roosters. they wouldn't acknowledge the petition, said it was improper as i did not get city's approval for it. after my hearing last wednesday, a newspaper reporter interviewed me about this whole situation. she writes good articles and i'm looking forward to seeing it come out. i'm thinking the prosecutor and other officials will be a little embarassed. they are known for harassing people. even my neighbor who has rabbits. they told him the rabbits were too loud. whatever! i didn't even know he had them! so this may be jumbled but i'm just trying to write it all down while i have a few minutes. when i go to trial, i will show the judge my dr's note, the petition, and my diagnosis. i believe comfort animals should be allowed, in my own yard. so there is my big fat chicken story. maybe i can get my ducks in a row before trial. i don't know how to represent myself, but hopefully the judge will rule in my favor. i don't know what advice anybody can give me as i read all the posts on here and they are very informative, but if somebody has a brilliant idea, please help! there i got it out!

Good luck with your fight.
fl.gif

They won't even acknowledge your pention because you didnt recieve approval?! That is so stupid! Would they have given you permission had you asked? I doubt it! I wish you well in your fight. I am sorry I don't have much legal know how to offer you. Where do you live? I might be able to scrounge something up to help
fl.gif

they said the petition was improper because i didn't get a list of registered voters who voted in the last election. well i didn't vote last election so does that mean my signature means a hill of beans? if i sign something then that is my voice. and my neighbor's voices are being blatantly disregarded. thanks for the well wishes!

i'd print out facts on chickens.... just some info to back their effects!

Are chickens game fowl?
gig.gif

Show how they produce x amount of eggs for you(food supply)

How they will be caged (coop and run) So they don'y think you're house will be like TJ, mexico.

Show them you will have no roo's!

Can you find any other places that have passed laws to allow chickens?

Show how much they are to feed(cheaper than dog etc)

Judge seems to be giving you a good chance of approval! the clerk sounds like the
duc.gif
. Does that person live near you? how did they find out? You have to have approval for a petition? Say what? go get approval, if they deny it , say they are not allowing your right to make a defense by not allowing you a petition. THOUGHT THEY HAD TO BE OVER 18..URGGGH what you didn't vote, your not seen as a voice in the courts..bahhh hogwash!

There is a lawyer on her, can't remember the name...hope they chime in

Last edited:
i have signed a couple of petitions for the railroad noise, i didn't have to prove i was a registered voter for crimeny sakes! they are really making a mountain out of a molehill. i'm just me, i am not a lawyer and if i educated myself as to all the laws, bylaws, and ordinances, i'd get paid! but no, i just want to live and let live. i do have several things i printed out as far as chicken facts, and egg facts. who doesn't love the taste of a home grown egg? i feed my chickens scraps, they turn to compost, and into the garden. which i might add is a monster garden this year. i did list several cities that allow chickens to the reporter, as well as the fact that cities across the nation are changing their ordinances to allow a small flock of hens in the backyard.

In Nebraska??? Oh for heaven's sake! It is not like ours which we live in the city limits. They are NO different than a scrawking parrot or barking dogs.

BTW, as for the reporter, he can add BYC for people to join us and we will be stronger in numbers!

i totally agree! i have a dog that makes more noise and his poop stinks! and........he's a pit bull........but that's okay. and other people's dogs can run amuck that's okay too.

Back
Top Bottom