My big fat chicken fight

the police officer pulls up as i'm watering my front lawn, wants to see my driver's license. i refused as i wasn't driving. well it's because of your chickens he says. to make a long story short.......i refused to sign the citation, he calls for backup, they said if i did not sign then they would arrest me. so they did. beings they cannot arrest me for that charge, the officer turns around enroute to jail, and takes me back home. so i pleaded not guilty, had a motion for discovery hearing last wednesday, and this wednesday i have a trial. i am representing myself. i have a note from my physician recommending i keep my chickens as they lower my blood pressure, stress, and give me comfort. when i presented this note to the city office, the chief of police said to put up a pen and he would overlook it. the clerk says no, pulls out the ordinance book and shows the ordinance banning fowl. they got a good laugh out of the dr's note.

Oh my, if this didn't sound like such a power play it would be almost laughable. I can hardly believe they would arrest you! You need to get some media; local TV reporter in on this​

i'm sure the newspaper reporter will be there, as well as other looky lous. me being social phobic, i will have to put blinders on and pretend they're not there, but t.v.? that would be too funny. yes they are all on a power trip here. so we'll see tomorrow who gets the last laugh. i really have to cram today if i'm going to make a good case. i'll let you all know the outcome!

Quote:
If you have a dr note then these are therapy animals and are allowed under the fair housing act. It is discrimination on the basis of your medical condition to not allow you to have them. A landlord couldn't throw you out based on them without facing that they could be sued. I would look up emotional support animals. I know how you feel about the officials. I lost my teeth due to my medical condition and they are having trouble getting fakes that fit right. I have a service dog for my medical condition and the cops gave me a huge hassle one time, 6 staning in a circle around me and saying things like what does the dog do for you, chew your food? Really nasty behavior.

I'm sure that Bayard is not a backwards town but it appears that your elected officials are. You should be proud of yourself for putting up a fight. The only way to create positive change is to take on these rigid, uneducated "officials".

It reads "You can't keep them in your yard" attach a coop/room( I would go as far as to put a chair and TV in the room) to your house and you will be keeping them in your house, not your yard.
It does not read " Can't keep fowl on the premises" that would stop people from keeping all pet birds.
You will be allowed to let them out during the "day".
I would love to be there to help fill the court house at the trial.

Make it a point to get a new voter registration card to show to any reporters. Tell them you see a reason to vote now!

Last edited:
update:
well so far i've had interviews with the local paper, tv station, and the associatad press. the paper and tv ran 2 days. there is a huge interest here obviously. i'm not the only person in the world who loves chickens! geez! i have until sunday to rehome the girls. i did present my dr.'s note both to the city clerk, and to the judge. the judge said ADA didn't apply, but i believe he was not reading the ADA, he was citing another statute. i am disabled and get social security. i do not have a landlord, i own my own property. so i'm still trying to figure how some of these laws apply to me as a homeowner, and not a tenant. i am overwhelmed with all the publicity and just want to crawl into a hole! i don't know what to do next, and yes i agree the elected officials here are convoluted. they are on a huge power trip! i hope they feel somewhat stupid about all this but they have in their heads that it's their way or no way. all that is allowed here is dogs and cats. so my parakeets make me illegal too, imagine that!

littlegorb, Good luck with your struggle, I am sure there are many people in your area that would like to keep chickens. Cities all over North America are allowing it as long as there are no roosters. It is a enlightened new rule bringing back the commonsense of older times and there is no reason why your town/city shouldn't get with the times.

I hope the interested people in your town will get together and become a force to be reckoned with.

In the meantime that was a big nasty hassle for you to deal with and you have held up very well. It usually takes one person to stick their neck out as it were for the rest of the people to rally around.
And just remember how many people here support you in this.
hugs.gif

thanks socks! i have had alot of support from people, but so far nobody wants to take on the city council. i've been reading some of the articles, and a few of them are a little insulting. these officials just cannot swallow their pride and say, "you know maybe this is a good idea, it just makes sense to try and appease our citizens who voted for us and let them be self sustaining". but they won't. my gosh, i grew up with chickens, my grandmothers all had them, they are such a natural addition to a yard/ garden. maybe they would rather have a cellphone sandwich eh?

Back
Top Bottom