My black australorp hasn't moved in days :(

There have been many good suggestions that are certainly worth trying. At 5 years old, your bird just may be at the end of her expected life. Sounds like she was well cared for by you and had a good life. If the treatment suggestions don't work, I personally would put the bird out of her misery if she seems to be in distress.

With chickens, it's always a learning experience every time something like this happens. There are many things that can go wrong with poultry. It's important that you stay current on deworming, especially in certain environments. Every day that I go out with the flock, I watch them while I am feeding breakfast to make sure that: 1) They are all active and moving around eating. No one should be quietly watching the others and not eating, or picking listlessly at food or the ground but not enthusiastically, or standing in a corner and looking unhappy, or walking very slowly for a long period. Chickens run and are active and noisy and hungry. Anyone who isn't active and noisy and hungry gets some extra observation, and if they continue to act that way for more than a few hours, they will go into a hospital pen for some extra attention and observation, as soon as I can catch them!. It reduces their stress and improves chances for survival, even though at first they won't like being in the hospital pen.

Make sure that you watch the rest of the flock closely for a few days, to make sure that this is not something contagious. You might want to consider adding some vitamins/ electrolytes to the flock's water for a few days. If you have never dewormed, do get a fecal float done on some random birds, just to see. Or, you can use a good broad spectrum dewormer, it will not hurt them even if you don't do a fecal float, although there is a withdrawal period for dewormers, it is worth it, imo.

You can get a necropsy done too if you want. But start with a fecal float if you really want to know...it's cheaper. If you get a necropsy done, it has to be done within 24 hours of the bird's death.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Very sorry for your loss. In California, it is only $20 to get a chicken necropsy done by UC Davis at 4 different locations. The body should be kept cold, not frozen, and wrapped in a plastic bag. Here is where to contact them if you would like to find a cause of death:
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/davis-lab

I wish we had that nice option like you do in California. Necropsies are not cheap here in Ohio, and they don't make it an easy process, either.
When I called and spoke with the state OH. pathologist, she said a basic necropsy is only $23 if you bring in the bird. But histology and requested testing is additional.

Back
Top Bottom