My brave Rooster

BrittanyDawn

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
SoCal

He saved all 12 of my girls from a fox or coyote this morning. I'm so sad he was taken
1f62d.png
He was not over dominant at all and didn't "steer" the girls away from us like our Barred Rock Roo used to do. He was great at finding food and also letting the ladies eat first. I'm glad he was able to attack and distract the predator long enough for all the hens and our duck to come up to safety. All the commotion caught my attention, I had literally just collected eggs and was putting them away. It all happened within minutes and I was too late. I just found 2 feathers back our back fencing where I'm sure it was a coyote who jumped the gate. My husband is going to reinforce when he gets home. We just picked up 2 new chicks yesterday... maybe one will be a Roo to replaced my guy.

I searched our property... we have some large pepper trees that have hosted grave sights before but nothing this time. The part of the fence that was compromised by some terrible flooding rain had a tree collapse onto it and basically made a pathway into the natural wash against our property line (that's where most our predators come from).

Back
Top Bottom