My broody hatched some Easter chicks for us! EE/ Silkie crosses

FarmerVal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Lebanon, Tennessee
My white silkie broody just hatched some Easter chicks for us! The chicks weren't her own, but were from our Easter Eggers and black Silkie rooster. At first I was afraid of how goofy these chicks might look, but so far they are adorable and closely remsemble EE chicks with furry feet.

My silkie is still broody and sitting on two eggs. I'm not sure how much longer they have to hatch since she is an egg stealer. I tried my best to make sure to catch any new eggs that she took to sit on, but a couple of times she got away with hiding them. Is it OK to leave the two chicks that already hatched in there with her while she is still sitting on those eggs? Or should I bring the chicks inside to a brooder?

Also, has anyone had a similar cross? I'm interested to know what these guys will look like. I'm hoping they look more EEish.
wink.png

Here are some pictures of our new little Easter babies!
big_smile.png

054.jpg

055.jpg

052.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

Quote:
They sure are! We've hatched quite a few chicks these past few months in our incubator and they are still so excited and amazed each time! Makes for some really cute pictures too
smile.png

She will sit for only another day or so, if the eggs don't hatch by then she will leave the nest with the chicks that did hatch. Those are some cute chicks can't wait to see how they feather out.

I hatched silkie x ee babies last year. They looked like regular ees with small crests, feathered legs and big beards and muffs. My silkie roo and ee hens have beards and muffs, not sure about yours...They were very good looking birds, and they were the first to go at sale time. Good luck!

Yep, she will act mama and still sit until the eggs are finished hatching so leave her be. She will know when her hatch is finished and quit sitting.

Congrats on your Easter chicks!
jumpy.gif
It looks like they are well loved!
love.gif

They are adorable! You can leave the babies under momma with the remaining eggs, she will likely continue to sit until they all hatch. You can put some water and chick feed in with them so that the babies can eat, once they are moving around a bit you can dip their beaks in the water and food.

Back
Top Bottom