My cat has sores on her stomach/groin area! HELP

Chickenfriend44

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2020
So my cat, Cookie, who is four years old, started going... bald. Yeah. I thought it was normal, and I was petting her one day and I noticed something weird. She had sores all over her stomach/groin area. And it was bald there too! It keeps getting worse and I don’t know what to do. I think she licks there too much and it’s getting irritated. Here’s a photo:
image.jpg
Thanks, -chickenfriend

Best thing to do would be to take her for a quick vet visit and get her checked out. Even if it does turn out they're just from her licking it too much, there's still the issue of what's irritating the area enough that she's licking it all the time, etc.

Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Have you used a flea comb to check her over for fleas?

Some cats will lick their hair off, and continue to lick and cause sores. It can be caused by irritants, allergies, or just stress. I can't tell just from a picture if this is the cause of your cat's sores, so I would second the advice to let your vet take a look.

We had one who licked her belly bald to soothe herself but never to the extent of causing sores. She began when her original owner (who was moving) rehomed her the first time, and continued when she went back to him & then came to us. To rule out allergies we tried giving her antihistimines for a while and they made no difference.

Some cats will lick their hair off, and continue to lick and cause sores. It can be caused by irritants, allergies, or just stress. I can't tell just from a picture if this is the cause of your cat's sores, so I would second the advice to let your vet take a look.

We had one who licked her belly bald to soothe herself but never to the extent of causing sores. She began when her original owner (who was moving) rehomed her the first time, and continued when she went back to him & then came to us. To rule out allergies we tried giving her antihistimines for a while and they made no difference.
Thank you very much!

Best thing to do would be to take her for a quick vet visit and get her checked out. Even if it does turn out they're just from her licking it too much, there's still the issue of what's irritating the area enough that she's licking it all the time, etc.

Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Have you used a flea comb to check her over for fleas?

She is an indoor cat and doesn’t have fleas. Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom