My chicken has a swollen eye (photos)

Mahmod123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
My chicken has a swollen eye it's been getting worse, I've put it in its own box away from other chickens, the chicken is quite young (not sure of the age) , it is a new chicken I got it a week ago , I can't really see any discharge. What could I do to help it.

That looks like a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD) or coryza. The eye looks worse than your last thread a few days ago. If there is a bad odor about it's head, then coryza may be the cause. If you choose to keep this chicken and not cull it, You may want to give antibiotics such as Tylan50 injection, Tylan Powder, eythromycin, or oxytetracycline. This chicken will be a carrier that will infect all others that you have in your flock. Here is a link with symptoms of diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thanks for your help but do you think it would live without any antibiotics because there are no vets around were I live

Sorry that was the wrong picture my iPad won't let me put the right picture this picture is 3 days ago now it much worse

You can try keeping the chicken isolated for several weeks givng it vitamins and electrolytes, and see how it does. Please let us know the results. Sulfa drugs would also help if you could get them. Many antibiotics are available online in the US.

Back
Top Bottom