My chicken is suicidal? and has maggots near her butt

UnluckyDucky

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Soo, my chicken, is, as you read in the title, suicidal.

She was given to my dad by a friend, and so he brought her home with him. We already have three chickens(Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, and Taylor Swift), originally two, so we already knew that we had to separate the newest addition of our flock from the rest of them for a while.

After that while (1-2 weeks give or take) we let her (now named, Whitney Houston) walk among them.
The result: whenever she got near the other chickens, they would peck and bully the feathers out of her.

Resulting in the poor chicken hiding underneath the low deck supporting their chicken house. She stayed there for two days, until we eventually managed to poke her out of hiding with the help of several tiny people wedged in between the deck and a wood pile and some long poles.

What once was a tall black feathered hen, is now a weak feathery puddle of goo.

She used to bound away from every thing that moved closer to her, and now she's so weak she wont stand up right, her tail(?) feathers are all droopy, she won't eat or drink unless we feed her by hand (meaning open her beak and drop in layer pellets), or repeatedly swipe her beak along the nipple so water will leak out for her to drink.

This morning, I found out that whatever little bit of poo she was pooing was getting stuck in her feathers. Upon closer inspection, I found creepy crawlies around her vent (most likely because of the poo stuck there). They looked like maggots, or they could have been something else, I didn't look long enough to find out, and immediately grabbed a hose to clean her.

As I am writing this, she is currently a sodden mass of feathers, hopefully bug free, but probably won't stay like that for long, because her tail(?) feathers a so droopy the poop gets stuck there and I'll have to de-bug her again. I separated her from the other hens and trimmed off some feathers around her vent, hopefully that will help.

Is there any way for her to survive this?

I cant tell if the maggots (or whatever they were) managed to crawl in her via her vent, and are currently feasting on her from the inside out, or if she has a disease, or if she is just plain fed up of the abuse and wants to end her life.

UPDATE: I went down to check on it after lunch, and she was very stiff... It seems like death hath come knocking, and in leaving, it took poor Whitney Houston with it...

Last edited:
Get some Wazine or Safe-guard from your feed store. You may want to dust her as well. Wait another week or 2 to make sure she is healthy.

When you introduce them again you can't just toss her in their run. Many species of birds, chickens included, are highly territorial and will attack strangers. You need to set up a fenced in area where the resident birds can get used to seeing the new one for several days. I use a wire dog crate in the coop so the newcomer also learns where home is.

Back
Top Bottom