my chicken might have cocci disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texasrangers1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    my chicken is acting really weird she isn't really walking any she is barely drinking and she has some of the symptoms of cocci disease. I have seperated her from the others and she seems to be doing a little better but hers eyes are closed some of the time.
    when she walks she seems real sluggish and not very alert.

2. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    This kills very rapidly. You need to get sulmet or corrid and start treating tomorrow.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Coccidiosis affects mostly younger birds, but can also be a problem sometimes with older chickens, especially if a new bird is brought in or a new strain gets introduced. Corid is the best treatment since it gets all 9 or so strains, but sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet will treat the worst 2 strains. Symptoms are sleepiness, standing puffed up, or hunching, diarrhea sometimes with blood, ruffled feathers, and not eating. If you think that's it don't delay in starting the Corid in the water.

1 person likes this.
  4. texasrangers1

Aug 1, 2014
    we took her to a bird vet and got everything we need he said we had to start treating her tonight because she was getting really bad she is a little bit perked up.

5. texasrangers1

Aug 1, 2014
    she is a day old
    but we had one that was 5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: