My chicken was attacked by a raccoon last night, can't walk

downinthecanyon

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
I have 50 hens, all a year old, all healthy and laying beautifully. But I have one stubborn hen who sometimes refuses to go into the coop at night, and last night was one of them. I was awakened by her horrible screams and ran down in my underwear and rubber boots and got to her in time (sort of) -- the raccoon ran off and she was laying on her side. I brought her in the house and put her in the bathtub on some old towels. She is alert and sitting up, but has not taken any food or water. When she stands, her right foot appears not to be operating. There is no evidence of blood, and the stools are normal. Is there any way I can splint it somehow? or do you think she's a goner?

Yes, I can take her to a vet, but I'm hoping that I might be able to help her myself. I can't afford anything like an operation.

If there is no obvious damage, open wounds, or fracture, I would give it a day or so and see how she acts. Make sure she has close access to food and water.

Quote:
This is what I did after a dog attack....and my hen is back in the coop back to normal.....

Give her some sugar water (just mix some regular sugar in water) or you can try gatorade. You just want to pep her up and try to fend off shock.
Then let her rest in the tub for an hour or so.

Now, check for wounds. Look for punctures anywhere on the body. If there is any, clean with warm, soapy water and peroxide then pack with neosporin (without pain relief).

You can also offer scrambled egg or yogurt mixed with crushed feed. What is most important is to get her over the shock. Keep her warm, even if you need to put a light up.

After you have treated this way, giving sugar water (pedialite) and she is eating/drinking, then address the leg. No sense in getting her upset more. The shock/wounds are the most important right now.

If she makes it 24 hours and is eating/drinking, the leg can be splinted as long as it is a clean break. You can simply use a piece of stiff cardboard and vet wrap.
Wrap leg with gauze, then cardboard (gauze will protect the leg) and then with vet wrap. Change every day or two depending on how it looks.

Wow, these posts are SO helpful! Thank you so much. I'll make my priority getting her to drink some sugar water or Gatorade, then -- no obvious signs of wounds but I don't want to distress her further by trying the splint. Thanks for the great advice!!

Quote:
i never knew chickens can drink gatorade!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom