My chickens are getting a little bored...

Birds won't miss you at all. They are happy in the flock they have.
As long as they have plenty of space and some places to climb up on and/or under......they'll be fine.
I'm betting you're the one who is 'bored' ;).

Mowed grass actually can cause impacted crops
Yes, copious amounts of fresh grass clipping can cause crop impaction. Can also make moldy mess in the run, depending on what else you've got int here for bedding.

I don't believe in providing food as entertainment.
Me neither.

hmm, my chickens when let out after the grass has been mowed love it. Even if the grass isn't mowed they still pull pieces to eat. Is this a proven fact?
It has happened, doesn't mean it will always happen.
Pulling, or nipping off, pieces to eat is a lot different than dumping a pile of fresh clippings.
Many different circumstances....if birds normally range, what kind of grass, how long the pieces are, and the individual birds themselves. Some just gorge on stuff.
Good judgement and moderation should be applied.

Last edited:
We have had a younger pullet get an impacted crop from too much grass. Kid was providing a bit too much of that to the chickens, in addition to whole corn (dried). Yes, it happens.

We do pull up a handful of grass now and then for the girls, and they free range a bit on grass, and no more impacted crops have occurred. They aren’t getting much grass in their diet.

I vote for hay or other substrate to scratch through.

Enhance their dust bathing area if needed. Recently we enhanced the dust bath in our run. A thick layer of sawdust, a few bags of paver sand, a large bag of peat moss. Took the pitchfork to it and mixed it up with some of the shredded wood and it has become chicken Nirvana. It is now a very loose mix that many chickens can use at the same time. The girls scratch, peck, and roll around for a long stretch. I’ve never seen them so dirty... errrm...clean.

Back
Top Bottom