My chickens love catfood! HELP!

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
I don't know if this is bad or not but my chickens love dry catfood! I have one particular one that will jump on the table where the catfood is placed just so she can eat it. They're all getting a proper laying feed, oystershells, and plenty of greens and other yummies.
Why do they like the catfood??? Is it bad for them???

It just proves that your chickens own you now.

When they start purring and rubbing against your leg, then you'll know you are in real trouble.

I'm going to say the same thing about cat food as I did in the dog food post. Most cat food is better for chickens than it is cats. It won't do them a bit of harm to eat some but I would try to keep them from eating mostly cat food as their diet. It's not nutritionally balanced for chickens and could cause problems eventually.

Thanks
big_smile.png
Boy, am I relieved!

our chickens do too.

it gets irritating when I've got 9 cats outside that would like to be fed durring the day, but I can't some days because the chickens eat it
smack.gif

plus the fact that I buy 40lb bags of it, and when the chickens keep eating it, I go froma full bag to less than half in a week
th.gif

I would say just put the cat food higher than the chickens can reach, but mine learned to take turns flying up to knock the dish of cat food off the windowsill.
hmm.png

They eat it and I don't worry about it. I just try to keep it from being a staple of their diet.

It won't harm them, but that is pretty expensive chicken food! Try to find a place to feed the cats where the birds don't go. Also, pet foods outdoors is a strong attractant for skunks and raccoons. Not something you want. If you are feeding the pets outside, take the food in at night.

The feed isn't outside, we have a covered, completely screened in porch with a door that is slightly open because our dog, cats, and rabbit live in there. The chicken just goes right on in and flies right onto the 3-4 feet tall table, even though her wing is clipped.

Back
Top Bottom