My chickens wont eat eggshell??

If your birds are getting layer feed, it has all the calcium they need. Not surprising they're not eating shells, they just don't need it. 

Now, as they age, they may need more, and start eating some shells when offered. Young hens start out with a good, high supply of calcium in their bones. The layer feed has usually around 4%, which is what they need to support production. If you were feeding grower or all in one, as a lot of us with mixed flocks do, you'd probably be seeing more shell intake. But for now, they're just telling you they're good and don't need it. 

Awesome.. Thank u.

If your birds are getting layer feed, it has all the calcium they need. Not surprising they're not eating shells, they just don't need it.

Now, as they age, they may need more, and start eating some shells when offered. Young hens start out with a good, high supply of calcium in their bones. The layer feed has usually around 4%, which is what they need to support production. If you were feeding grower or all in one, as a lot of us with mixed flocks do, you'd probably be seeing more shell intake. But for now, they're just telling you they're good and don't need it.

May be it depends on the chicken breed. I have Australorps. The layer feed I use has between 3 and 4 % calcium. Chickens also have a pan of crushed oyster shells (which I don't think they were eating). I was still getting soft shelled (broken) eggs. I solved the problem by adding crushed oyster shells to the layer feed.

May be it depends on the chicken breed. I have Australorps.  The layer feed I use has between 3 and 4 % calcium. Chickens also have a pan of crushed oyster shells (which I don't think they were eating). I was still getting soft shelled (broken) eggs. I solved the problem by adding crushed oyster shells to the layer feed. 

You said u have australorps, i just got some almost 2 weeks ago and blue austranias (i think is spelling) ive had 3 die already and i dont understand y? I am doing EXACTLY like i did others. Heat lamp, medicated baby chick food, probios, and electrolites. Same exact room and place i had others.. I am confused? I got them at rural king (where i got others) they replaced 2 of them, but this morning, i lost another one? Help??

Edit; i have noticed that the 3 that died was getting yukky butt but wasnt actually at the opening but stuck to feathers/fuzz underneath ..

Last edited:
Our Australorps were 6 to 7 weeks old when we got them. Maybe there is a missing nutrient that they need. Just for kicks, I would occasionally give them a chopped boiled egg.

Our Australorps were 6 to 7 weeks old when we got them.  Maybe there is a missing nutrient that they need.  Just for kicks, I would occasionally give them a chopped boiled egg.

Ok i will try that..

Also these lil suckers fly... They only 2 weeks old and they are flying out of the tote lolol... Good thing my cats protect them and dont eat them.

Back
Top Bottom