My Chickies arrived today! 🐥🧡

khalida

Songster
Mar 14, 2022
Cape Girardeau, MO
Just got my babies in and I know you guys will appreciate the photos
This is my first time with chickens, I've been researching for a few months now before we got them.
We ordered from Meyer hatchery
I got 2 salmon favorelles, 2 golden laced wyandottes, 2 lakeside eggers, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 barred Plymouth rock (which is the "meal maker", eggs will be going to local food banks)

I just say the favorelles have such a funny personality compared to the others 😂 they are so sassy lol

Don't mind the gems, I was having a slight issue with aggressive feet pecking and that seemed to do the trick along with some simple mother hen "pecks" lightly to the back of the head
Funny enough it was the smallest SF that was doing it, she's the first to run out and very in your face, I know pecking order isn't established but something tells me she will be lead hen 😂 all in due time!
Small but sassy, almost want to name her spitfire lol

So far everyone is looking very well, eating and drinking and happy 🧡🐥 not sure if I have pictures of everyone but I didn't want to disturb them to much the first day

I'll add more photos over the next few weeks as they grow up 😊

PXL_20220511_130537609.jpg

PXL_20220511_225654123.jpg
PXL_20220511_130357988.jpg

Did you order pullets or straight run?

And one suggestion...
Shavings, or some other litter may be better then paper towels. Some people use puppy pads, but as they get older there will be too much poo to deal with puppy pads or paper towels. That is my opinion at least.

Did you order pullets or straight run?

And one suggestion...
Shavings, or some other litter may be better then paper towels. Some people use puppy pads, but as they get older there will be too much poo to deal with puppy pads or paper towels. That is my opinion at least.
I ordered all pullets, I know there is bound to be a mistake though, I'm thinking the one SF could possibly be a roo 🤷 won't know for a few weeks for sure
as far as bedding I plan on transferring them to large 100% pine flakes here in a few days, mainly I wanted to make sure I could see the poop and assess health and make sure they knew what food was

New chicken mom I'm sure I'm a little over protective this year lol 😅

I've heard of them eating shavings, and seen it at TS
I know they can, I've already provided some grit so when they do get transferred that they have an easier time digesting it if they end up eating it.
Again probably not for a few days till a week

I ordered all pullets, I know there is bound to be a mistake though, I'm thinking the one SF could possibly be a roo 🤷 won't know for a few weeks for sure
as far as bedding I plan on transferring them to large 100% pine flakes here in a few days, mainly I wanted to make sure I could see the poop and assess health and make sure they knew what food was

New chicken mom I'm sure I'm a little over protective this year lol 😅
Sounds like youve got it under control! I may start doing that. Especially when I order chicks from Ideal next year. Ive just never thought about!

Back
Top Bottom