czmarie

Hatching
Nov 6, 2021
Hi there,

We recently got 7 chicks and 4 have died now, one by one. They act normal and then slowly get more lethargic. Their poop is brown, runny and smelly. They don’t want to use their legs. Then they will die. This is my first time with chicks and I’m so upset. We have a thermometer and keep the temp constant, change water twice a day and add probiotics and electrolytes, clean their brooder once a day. The lady I got them from said they are vaccinated for meraks. Any advice would be a appreciated. I’m desperate and chick #5 just started her diarrhea.

Are they eating solid chick starter feed? I don't know that daily probiotics and electrolytes are good to continue. The thick brown indicates their gut health contains the beneficial gut bacterias, but in a young chick maybe they shouldn't be producing so much. What are their crops like before bed? They should be full of solid food.

Make sure they have just plain water and their chick starter feed. I'm not great with advice for indoor setups, but I don't ever need to give my chicks anything other than their starter feed and water, they free range with their mom the rest.

Hi there,

We recently got 7 chicks and 4 have died now, one by one. They act normal and then slowly get more lethargic. Their poop is brown, runny and smelly. They don’t want to use their legs. Then they will die. This is my first time with chicks and I’m so upset. We have a thermometer and keep the temp constant, change water twice a day and add probiotics and electrolytes, clean their brooder once a day. The lady I got them from said they are vaccinated for meraks. Any advice would be a appreciated. I’m desperate and chick #5 just started her diarrhea.
So sorry to hear about your wee ones.

Chicks are fairly easy usually, all they need is warmth, medicated chick starter (prevents coccidiosis) and water.

I bed on softwood shavings, use a heated brooder plate they can run under or sit on. I use a feeder and also throw down feed in the bedding that they can forage for, water is in a small chicken waterer.

If you can take a stool sample to a vet to check for coccidiosis that would be helpful.

Sure hope your wee ones start doing better.

Sometimes they'll eat that instead of the food so they advise not using it the 1st week.
My chicks do pick at the floor (wood shavings, wood chips + various organic matter) but I've not had an issue with it. I do provide grit immediately when I get them. My wood chips are quite large so it's unlikely chicks would eat them, but I would agree that it's a good idea to get large chips and large wood shavings to discourage babies from eating too much of them.

Back
Top Bottom