My dad wants to know if... *HELP PLEASE*

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
He wants to know if we can use a lice shampoo for people on a chicken. Our silkie is completely covered with lice and she is going to infect out whole flock unless we can kill the lice and their eggs. For about 2 months now I've been trying sevin dust, poultry dust, sevin spray, warm baths, everything except lice shampoo. At first it didn't look so bad so I continued with the dust and sprayed down the coop and roosts every other week. I just checked her out and oh boy... They are crawling all over her face and vent and neck and oh em gee! The egg clumps are on the base of every feather, her vent area has HUGE egg clumps and I picked at some and the feathers came right out with the egg clumps. She has really dry skin and her fluff looks dusty and unhealthy. Awhile ago my mom bought Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo for dogs but I wasn't too sure about using it.
How about human lice shampoo? I told my dad about Adam's Flea and Tick shampoo but my dad said that we don't need to buy it because we can use the Hartz one or the people kind.
Any help would be highly appreciated!

I don't know about the people kind but check online and see if hartz and adams has the same ingredients in it. Then it would be safe. IDK maybe people is same too

i hope someone can help cause I just dont know. Did you treat every 2 weeks? Lice eggs hatch within 2 weeks, so thats why you have to retreat. Did you get rid of all the bedding in the coop? somewhere she is getting reinfected. As far as treating with lice shampoo I think I would ask a vet first. Wouldnt want to put something on her that would hurt her.

I'd stay away from Sevin spray. It will be absorbed through the skin.

Here is the official recommendation for lice:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

You will need to change out all bedding in the coop unfortunately. I don't know about flea and tick shampoos- sorry.

You might want to try some of the expensive pour ons like Ivermectin- you can do a search on here- "ivermectin lice" in the search bar.
Oh I just read that if it is the kind of lice that only eat feathers it won't work.

Last edited:
Someone on here had a really good page about getting lice out of her coop - can't remember who!

She said they were living in all the cracks of the wood, where the roosts joined the walls, etc. They hid there during the day and came out at night. She took everything down and cleaned all the wood, then sealed it with clear grout. She also put her roosts on metal brackets, so the bugs couldn't crawl across from the walls.

Quote:
I've been treating the coop with spray every other week. As for dusting the feathers I do it every week, 5 days according to what some guy at the feed store said. For awhile she was good but then they multiplied all over her. As for the bedding, it's more like shavings mixed with dirt. She isn't free range to my yard because my standards would hurt her or worse, so she stays in a smaller area. It's like a huge cage area inside of the part where the coop is. I scoop up the shavings because it has poop (a whole lot of poop) and I usually put it out on the trees for fertilizer. Then I put new shavings. The thing is though, she's not the only chicken in there. I have young pullets in there that need to be in there till they get bigger, or my standards will hurt them. Not letting them eat, pecking at them, chasing them, I tried it once to see if they'd do good with eachother... Nope. So I need to wait until they are about the size of my barred rocks. The barred rocks are smaller then my various mutts.
I don't know if I can go see a vet since and ask since the nearest one is about 25 minutes away, by car. And they're a cat and dog vet, I don't too many people on the air force base that own chickens.

Quote:
I let the sevin spray dry before I let the silkies and youngins back in the cage thing. It's a huge cage don't worry, by huge I mean like about the size of a small room. I do change out the bedding, I turn the shavings and poop into fertilizer then I put new shavings. I do this quite alot, and with the standards/grown up chickens as well. I don't know if my parents will pay for expensive stuff. It's very likely that they won't. I don't if it's eating feathers, all I know is her skin is super dry and flaky and some of the feathers come right out.

Will this spray kill the eggs too? Wait, how much is it? If its too expensive my mom will tell me to buy it with my own money and all I have is 12 dollars I think... And I plan to use that at Subway...

Back
Top Bottom