my dog attacked my duck please help!

Has she started molting yet for this year? if not then when she completely molts she will grow all her new feathers in together. Most of mine are in molt or are beginning to start. Bless her heart she has had a rough go of it, Sounds like a real survivor. As for the Veterycin you can order on line. Most online stores that carry poultry products carry it. How many ducks do you have besides her or is she your only duck? and like Amiga said I'd at least keep her in while she heals, and if she has others to cuddle with after that to keep her warm then she can most likely go back after wounds are healed. You may have to spray Blue Kote on her to keep the others from messing with her though. Thanks for keeping us updated on how she is doing, and hoping your recovering too. :hugs

I'm not sure if she's started her molt because she was sitting on eggs before this happened so idk if the feathers in and around her nest was because of her nesting or the molt. I know my other ducks haven't started molting yet. I have 16 ducks and 3 geese including her in the numbers. She's kinda an out cast as she wasn't brought up with them so they aren't close but she does hang out with them. I'm worried about when she heels and is ready to go back that they will pick on her but I keep reminding myself we will think of it when the time comes. Thanks miss Lydia. I'm doing alright I still very upset with the dog and upset with her situation. But we are working through it.

My KC duck had a wicked tear injury from a drake. I had no idea until I noticed she was hiding out away from the flock. Not the same thing at all, but I just wanted to offer encouragement. I washed mine perhaps 2 or 3 times in warm ES, and just kept providing clean bath water and vitamins in drinking water, and she was very healed up within just 2 weeks.

Thank you for sharing. She's very bitey so its hard to do compresses. Shes getting worse with the biting but I can't say I blame her.

Amiga, you did such a wonderful job helping ducklover87 with her injured duck. It broke my heart reading how ducklover felt. I could hear her panic and not knowing what to do, and how she felt, just reading what she wrote. You were so in control for her, and I am sure that you helped her. She seemed to do very well under pressure. I probably would have been freaking out and crying. Just wanted to tell you...Very Nice Job!!

Amiga, you did such a wonderful job helping ducklover87 with her injured duck. It broke my heart reading how ducklover felt. I could hear her panic and not knowing what to do, and how she felt, just reading what she wrote. You were so in control for her, and I am sure that you helped her. She seemed to do very well under pressure. I probably would have been freaking out and crying. Just wanted to tell you...Very Nice Job!!

Thats so sweet! And I agree Amiga helped me soo much. I was so freaking when I posted to this site and having Amiga's clear head keep me in check was just what I needed. Granted at first I was crying so bad I could barely see to make this post but again have Amiga step up and help out was just what I needed to help kick me into gear. I'm very thankful Amiga and so is Cheese :)

I recalled this post from a while back. Very detailed, see if it helps you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken

Thanks for the link it was very helpful. Only i'm not so sure I'm very good at shots. Cheese likes to bite right now so I figured i'd go into the thigh well that didn't work very well. So I had to go in through the breast and it's hard having to make sure your not in a blood vessel and then administering the shot and making sure you hit the same spot. I must of poked the poor girl about 7 or 8 times before I could get the injection to come out of the needle, even then a lil bit of it didn't go in. I think I pushed the fluid in too fast but at least I'm better prepared for it for tom. My only question is, how do I know if it works or if it doesn't work? Will there be any signs? I know it said no more than 4 days but how do I know if she'll need the 4 days? I'm glad I don't have to give shots at my work. Thank god we send our clients to the hospital to be stuck by needles.

ETA: I know she's really sore is there anything I can give her for pain? I mean her back must be killing her with having all her feathers ripped out.

Last edited:
Well, let's keep giving Cheese whatever she needs to recuperate. Look her over again tomorrow (I know you will), but really, try to have fresh eyes and ears. Ducks are so good at hiding problems.

Glad I was able to respond. There are days I cannot get online. But that's why we have a number of members
smile.png

Sending prayers for all of you.

Last night was pretty rough. Hope we all sleep better tonight. No, I did not sleep much, either.

ETA - just read your next message. I wish I could offer some experience with the injections. I have only done subcutaneous injections on the cat. That thread was the most detailed thing I have come across so far. Perhaps you can ask the vet some of those questions.

I would think that you would see little change, if the antibiotic is heading off a systemic infection. I keep saying it, ducks hide their illness and injuries so well it is a real challenge to be sure of their internal condition. I think some amount of it is instinct - is she herself?

Last edited:
Well, let's keep giving Cheese whatever she needs to recuperate. Look her over again tomorrow (I know you will), but really, try to have fresh eyes and ears. Ducks are so good at hiding problems.

Glad I was able to respond. There are days I cannot get online. But that's why we have a number of members
smile.png

Sending prayers for all of you.

Last night was pretty rough. Hope we all sleep better tonight. No, I did not sleep much, either.

When I checked her today I tried to check her over as if I hadn't seen it before and see if I missed anything yesterday. I'm sorry you didn't sleep much I was out like a light after talking to Cheese. I have been doing sleep awake shifts at work and that gives me only 5 hours of sleep for 4 nights in a row. I had got about 13 hours of sleep in two days. I was up for 17 hours the first night (2 days ago) with 5 hours of sleep then I slept for 5 hours and yesterday I was up for 20 hours along with dealing with what happened with Cheese so when I fell asleep I crashed hard. I did wake a few times during the night and she heard the other ducks out the window and started quacking this morning. I can tell she misses them.

So I checked her over again this morning and she's improving greatly. However, I noticed she has a blueish green poop. Like literally blue. Is that because of the penicillin? It wasn't like that before it was still normal colored. Since last night and this morning it has turned this color and the only thing that has changed is I gave her the penicillin shot last night. Also her puncture wounds are a deep red almost like a blood clot. Should I continue with the saline solution and the triple antibiotic or keep doing that? I've seen great improvement with this way but i'm not sure if I should continue to do it or not. Other than that she's doing a lot better. She's more active and very talkative which is good. I've also found out that she likes to listen to Miley Cyrus while in her bath lol. She likes any music really but she starts to swim and preen and eat her mealworms whenever a miley cyrus song comes on. I'm really worried about her appetite too. She normally doesn't eat much as it is but she has barely touched her food and the only thing she really eats is her mealworms which isn't totally bad as they are 53% protein but I'm worried about her eating. She drinks really well and I have to refill her bowl twice a day. Once in the morning and once during the middle of the day/evening.

Back
Top Bottom