My dog just bit someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is tricky. If you have set the dog up to become territorial then you cannot very well blame the dog for biting people who he sees as a threat to the safety of himself or his family.
Any animal with teeth can bite. The most well trained dogs can bite in times of high stress or anxiety.
IMO your meter readers who know you have a dog that bites should not be just walking onto your property. Am I the only one who finds this downright stupid of them?
I have often joked with people that my very laidback 7 year old lab would show the theives where the good stuff is if anyone ever broke in, but seriously I highly doubt it. I know that if someone walked right into my house without knowing him or us that he would go after them. And my 1 year old Newf certainly would! Most people don't even know we have two dogs because you never hear my lab, he never barks. My Newf barks when people come to the door and if he's out doing his buisness and someone comes near the property.

Please do not put Beware Of Dog signs on your property. I used to do tons of work for my local animal control and these do not hold up legally. It is anouncing to the world that you have a "vicious" dog. Cops and ACO's around here tell people to put up No Tresspassing signs instead.
If he is only biting people that are coming into your property without invitation then I personally don't see much of a problem if your intention was to have a gaurd dog. If not then you should rehome him to someone who wants one.
It sounds to me like your dogs spend alot of time outdoors. When this happens a dogs territory expands to not only your house, but the yard they roam as well. You may see a big difference between someone walking through your gate and someone walking through your front door, but to your dog that gate might as well be your bedroom door.
If you have lots of commotion around and people coming and going frequently you should probably find him a new home where it will be much quieter or put him down.

Thanks - I am trying to absorb all the info I have been given. I did specifically want large dogs as protectors and also so the kids would have dogs to play with. I purposely chose the 2 breeds that I did - even though they were mixed - because they were supposed to be good family dogs.
I did also put it together that both times that he bit the kids were outside playing.
I feel terrible that 2 people have been bit but I will not put my dog down for it. If he was roaming the neighborhood and bit someone then it would be a different story. My yard - my dog.
We have a very good relationship with the neighbor across from us - the first person he bit. I know the reason they didn't report him is because we didn't report them when their stallion broke through 2 fences and killed my daughter's shetland pony 2 yrs ago. I also used to have to take a baseball bat with me to get my paper in the morning because their chow mix would be outside their fence and went after me once (while I was 8 mths pg no less). We did offer to pay if there were any medical expenses. There were none.
I made the same offer to the mailman today. He said he wasn't going to report it because he could loose his job. He isn't supposed to get out of his vehicle if there are dogs present. We are in a very small town and a rural area. I know he was doing me a favor and now I will have to drive to the post office to get any boxes.
If someone drives through the gate and gets out then the dog is totally fine with them. It's strange and I KNOW someone did something to him and I would bet $ it was the meter reader. It really makes me mad. I will call the power company and find out if I can call in the meter reading. It's crazy that he comes in the yard with the dogs. I wouldn't walk into someones yard that had big dogs. He doesn't honk or ring the bell. I only know he's here because the dogs start barking like crazy.

I did also put it together that both times that he bit the kids were outside playing.

There is your answer to why he nipped both times. Your dog was doing his job, he has no idea whether these were good guys or somebody wishing harm on your children. Your dog deserves one big hug!!
hugs.gif

There is your answer to why he nipped both times. Your dog was doing his job, he has no idea whether these were good guys or somebody wishing harm on your children. Your dog deserves one big hug!!

To me there in lies the problem. What if the next time it's a child and he doesn't know if they're good guys or not?​

Quote:
To me there in lies the problem. What if the next time it's a child and he doesn't know if they're good guys or not?

that would be my concern...i know he was trying to do a good thing...but, if he cannot tell the "real" differance if your family is in danger or not..he is a high risk...i hope the house ins. is paid up... either way its your choice. like you said, your yard-your dog.... but it is also your responsibility to see that he can never bite another innocent person.(maybe put a lock on the gate so noone can enter with out being let in by you guys..)..i feel bad for the dog honestly..its not his fault..he's just trying to protect his family..its a tough thing to go through...i just hope for his sake and yours you get him in a situation where he can never bite again... you have my best wishes!
hugs.gif

Quote:
He "had no idea", but he attacked. That's not "doing his job".

All dogs have an instinct to protect their pack. It doesn't need to be trained into them. It can get out of hand very easily if a dog is socialized to think that he can make independent decisions about who to attack. A dog's world is all about hierarchy, and this particular dog doesn't know his proper place in it.

It's very likely that this behavior will be repeated.

Quote:
I agree 110% .... its not like he venturing onto other peoples property and biting them. Also, not sure, but doesnt sound like your around when this happens and if thats the case, then hes not playing the leader who decides the rules, he just stepping up and doing his best to protect the family when your not their to do so. Also, if anyone ever pepper sprayed me, Id bite them too! Or if they sprayed my dog just cuz they were "nervous" I would file a complaint or start a lawsuit, thats uncalled for! Good luck and dont consider putting him down, this is a normal behavior and many people, like myself, would love to have a dog that is protective like that! If you dont want him, send him this way lol

Quote:
To me there in lies the problem. What if the next time it's a child and he doesn't know if they're good guys or not?

that would be my concern...i know he was trying to do a good thing...but, if he cannot tell the "real" differance if your family is in danger or not..he is a high risk...i hope the house ins. is paid up... either way its your choice. like you said, your yard-your dog.... but it is also your responsibility to see that he can never bite another innocent person.(maybe put a lock on the gate so noone can enter with out being let in by you guys..)..i feel bad for the dog honestly..its not his fault..he's just trying to protect his family..its a tough thing to go through...i just hope for his sake and yours you get him in a situation where he can never bite again... you have my best wishes!
hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif

hmm.png
Hes just doing his job! Thats all ! Hes going to instictivly
" protect his pack ". Theres really not to much that you can do about it at an older age. ( i have a golden retriever/ lab and 2 labs) They are wonderful dogs and amazing protectors. Dont put your dog down for something thats in his nature!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom