My drake keeps charging me is this normal?

Webbigail

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Bay Area, CA.
I've raise him and his mate from 2 days old. They're my babies... and ever since the girl has started to lay eggs the drake has started chasing me. Whenever anyone walks by he charges them. He even caught up to me this morning as I was letting them out and he bit my leg!

Is there anyway I can get this little brat to stop?

He is only doing what nature has programmed him to do. Protect the nest. As long as she is laying or sitting he will be protecting. Just be glad he isn't a swan, they can be extremely aggressive and down right painful.

I had the same problem years ago.. My drake was alone and still did this. I had bruises on my legs at least once a week. He did this to everybody until he tried it with my mom. She gave him a quick back slap and he never went near her again. Not saying it would work, but he still did it to me, but I didn't have the heart to whack him. He was killed by a racoon shortly after starting this, so I don't know if there is a way to train him not to. It is so annoying!
rant.gif

No problem with my drake...yet...LOL

If he does charge me, I think I will do what the chicken people do with naughty roo's....

Hold him and carry him around until he chills out.

That way he will know who is boss and it wont hurt the duck.

My bantam bonded drake does this. He'll yank our pant leg or try to charge us through the fence. Thankfully he's itsy bitsy so it's not big deal to pick him up and put him under my arm. At first I thought he was just being sweet, but nope.

The girls have started laying and he didn't start doing it until then so that makes sense.

But I miss my lil boy that would sit on my lap and give me kisses.
sad.png
Now he's this big mean drake.

*Edit*
I've been picking him up and trying to calm him down but it doesn't seem to work. As soon as I put him down and turn around to leave he's right on my heels again. I guess I'll just have to carry him around more.

Last edited:
Quote:
Im sorry sounds like your little boy has turned into a man! I havent had any problems with my 2 boys and my gorls have been laying for months now!

I guess I'll just have to carry him around more

Exactly...and don't put him down until he is calm. If he charges you, pick him right back up again. Eventually he will get the hint.​

Back
Top Bottom