My duck/chicken life

Good morning :frow They're adorable.
I'm really hating my Cali whites right now. We put three roos with them two days ago, just yesterday, we found one of them several buried and took him in for care, and now just today, I found two severely wounded roos with two inch wide gaping wounds on their buts, we caught them in the act of terrorizing one that was still on the ground and in reach of them. The other was cowering on top of the nesting boxes where the Cali's are too big to stay on.*

How are you this morning
Annoyed with kids and busy taking cared of injured and healthy animals alike.
It is mostly clotted by now.
IMG_20210226_093519.jpg

Good morning :frow Glad you got the bleeding stopped.
They are healing well.

Just yesterday I came across two more hilarious stories. I went to fill the ducks water yesterday morning and did so, then went back inside. I went outside a few moments later with my dog and saw my pekin duck daisy had managed to get into the small bucket was just floating in it and washing herself all nice and proudly in the water that i literally just replaced. So I had to replace it all over again XD because she knocked about half of the water out of it. The two males water to mate her so much but they couldn't get into the bucket with her.

Then a few hours later, our chick brooder's light went out, so we tried replacing the bulb, but none of the new bulbs we already had on us were working. So we had to go out and buy a new lamp thinking it was that. We bought the lamp but also decided to try a heating element for brooding chicks as well so we got that to try. But when we got home we saw one of our silky roosters trying to herd the hens. I don't know if she thought Quacker's was a chicken or what, but the do do too went up to her and pecked and nipped at her to try and get her to go in, only to turn around fleeing as she then latched onto his back feathers and chased him half way around the yard without stopping until she was satisfied he learned his lesson. Then we went inside and plugged in to try the heating element, only to find it wasn't working either. So I looked around and saw that our incubator, which was running off the same outlet wasn't on either. It's only then that we realized our fuze was just blown the whole time XD.

On another note, we had a friend over and I was watching outside the window. I happened to look at our coop in time to see our shrimpy Japanese bantam pick a fight with what happened to be the biggest rooster in our flock and was thoroughly defeated with a single peck from him. (No harm done to tiny deaf peepers though)

Back
Top Bottom