My Duck has a cut on her beak!

samandreacamp

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2020
Hi there!
I have three pekin ducks (ages 2mo, 1 mo, 1mo), and the largest one has what looks like a cut through multiple layers of her beak, as well as a bubble on the side. So far I have cleaned out the cut and applied Vetericyn, but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas. She is drinking and eating fine.

IMG_0504.jpeg
IMG_0505.jpeg

O ok. Looks like you have the situation under control. Keep it clean and keep an eye on it so it don't get any worse. She is still eating and drinking so that is a good thing. Maybe other members can be of more help. @Isaac 0

I had something similar happen to my duck a few years ago. I also suspect my duck hurt herself on the fencing on her aviary. I took her to her avian vet. They didn't think it was a big deal.

They had me use q-tips to wash it with antibacterial soap called chlorhexidine, and rinse it well. I imagine any broad spectrum antibacterial soap would accomplish the task. I held her head steady and made sure she didn't ingest any soap. After that they had me put a very small dab of antibiotic ointment on it daily. It's important to get ointment without pain reliever. Use a very thin layer.

My duck's bill healed very slowly, but when I took her back for checkups they told me this was normal and they were happy with the progress.

I had something similar happen to my duck a few years ago. I also suspect my duck hurt herself on the fencing on her aviary. I took her to her avian vet. They didn't think it was a big deal.

They had me use q-tips to wash it with antibacterial soap called chlorhexidine, and rinse it well. I imagine any broad spectrum antibacterial soap would accomplish the task. I held her head steady and made sure she didn't ingest any soap. After that they had me put a very small dab of antibiotic ointment on it daily. It's important to get ointment without pain reliever. Use a very thin layer.

My duck's bill healed very slowly, but when I took her back for checkups they told me this was normal and they were happy with the progress.
Do you think Vetericyn would accomplish the same task as the antibiotic ointment? I'm new int he duck world but have raised sheep and goats for years, and Vetericyn is my best friend when it comes to their injuries.

Do you think Vetericyn would accomplish the same task as the antibiotic ointment? I'm new int he duck world but have raised sheep and goats for years, and Vetericyn is my best friend when it comes to their injuries.
That's a good question. I'm unfamiliar with Vetericyn, and I have never had my vets recommended that I use it before. That doesn't mean it isn't an effective product! If you are comfortable with it and have had good results you could use it and see what happens.

When I took my duck in they seemed really nonchalant about the entire thing. Regarding treatment they even said, "you could do this," instead of, "you need to do this." Kind of implying that I didn't need to do anything. It is hard to tell by just photos, but in my case I felt like my vet thought I was overreacting.

I don't know if anyone is able to see very well in this photo, but there's also a blister-like bump on each edge of her beak. I think it may be just a bruise, but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you so far for the help!
IMG_0505.jpeg

I would think something a little more greasy (water resistant) would be a good finishing touch on a duck. I'd think Vetericyn would wash off at the first dabble and be more likely to get infected if that's the only thing you use. Unless you want to clean it 3 or more times a day...

Back
Top Bottom