Alex Clare

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2018
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I own three ducks - one female runner and two male cayugas. One of the boys has this coughing or sneezing noise. It's been chronic so far - we just thought it could be a cold that wouldn't disappear. He also seems to lose his voice from time to time, and when he loses it, he sounds like he's got phlegm and his quack sounds cut off. Lastly, he just seems to breathe heavy. Does anyone know what this is or how to help him? If it helps, the other two are in fine condition and have never had breathing problems, and he is a little overweight.

Hi! Sorry for your troubles.

Can you describe your coop setup for them? What you use for bedding, what you feed them, if you have water deep enough for them to dunk their heads up to their eyes in?

Also, have you wormed them recently?

Hi! Sorry for your troubles.

Can you describe your coop setup for them? What you use for bedding, what you feed them, if you have water deep enough for them to dunk their heads up to their eyes in?

Also, have you wormed them recently?
The coop is a mini dog house looking building with a fenced outside area. They're taken out daily and have two deep water tubs to play in that are high enough to dunk their eyes. They are on a flock raiser crumble right now, and no, they haven't been dewormed :( this is our first time with ducks so any info helps & thanks for replying!

The coop is a mini dog house looking building with a fenced outside area. They're taken out daily and have two deep water tubs to play in that are high enough to dunk their eyes. They are on a flock raiser crumble right now, and no, they haven't been dewormed :( this is our first time with ducks so any info helps & thanks for replying!

What do you use for bedding in the house? Is it changed frequently? Ammonia buildup could affect a duck in the way you describe which is why I ask.

I would also try deworming and see if that helps. I would do Safeguard at a rate of .23 mls per pound for five days in a row. That'll treat basically any worms they might have.

If that doesn't work, then it would be time to consider a chronic respiratory disease.

What do you use for bedding in the house? Is it changed frequently? Ammonia buildup could affect a duck in the way you describe which is why I ask.

I would also try deworming and see if that helps. I would do Safeguard at a rate of .23 mls per pound for five days in a row. That'll treat basically any worms they might have.

If that doesn't work, then it would be time to consider a chronic respiratory disease.
Thanks so much!

Update: His symptoms seemed to be consistent w/ gapeworm, so we bought the safeguard goat dewormer to add to their drinking water. He's improved so much! The medicine is effective - he's been more active and is coughing a lot less.

I’m sure @Pyxis will be able to tell you further, but it’s really important they get the full dose for the correct amount of days. Especially with gapeworms. It won’t hurt them to give them more, but the worms will come right back if they get less.;)

There is another member on BYC that has gapeworms in her region of the US. She says she has to give them dewormer every 6 months to keep them from getting it again. I’m glad he is getting some relief!!

I’m sure @Pyxis will be able to tell you further, but it’s really important they get the full dose for the correct amount of days. Especially with gapeworms. It won’t hurt them to give them more, but the worms will come right back if they get less.;)

There is another member on BYC that has gapeworms in her region of the US. She says she has to give them dewormer every 6 months to keep them from getting it again. I’m glad he is getting some relief!!
X2. It would be best to give it orally.

Back
Top Bottom