My duck isn’t eating and poops bright green

I didn't see it before, but if it was neon green this is better. Still not close to normal, but it's better, so I think that what you're doing might be working.
Before, from post one.
AB4A4ABD-8ED5-4FD4-B8AB-9660F055B476.jpeg

Her poop is a neon green liquid. The best way to describe it is like radioactive poop. I’ve never seen anything like it. Vet said when poop look like that it’s not a good sign. It’s been like that all week. My biggest concern is that the food I’m giving her isn’t getting digested into her system properly. That tends to happen when things shut down. I just wish the vet had a better idea on what specifically was wrong with her. Pneumonia is one thing- but cancer... If it’s cancer I’m simply prolonging the inevitable and it makes me sick thinking about it. But as long as she’s trying, I’m going to keep trying as well. I wish we understood illness in birds better. I don’t know how she could have gotten sick. It doesn’t help that birds tend to hide their illnesses until it’s too late.
There’s lots of natural bacteria in the dirt that could of caused it. Or maybe she got a virus from wildlife that weakened her immune system allowing bacteria to take over. I agree with you it’s frustrating thinking about it. But if what you are doing is working, then keep it up.:clap Then if it is something like cancer, you will be assured you did everything you could for her.

A5CBB9E8-14F9-48D2-9E04-C3B8312DBFD9.jpeg
Maybelle is still not doing well. Her poop immediately went back to a neon green liquid last night and it hasn’t changed. There are little tiny bits of dark green matter in the neon green liquid. After doing some reading online, I’m thinking the neon green liquid is bile or something.

She’s lost a lot of weight and is literally feather and bones. She is still eating crickets, worms, and I’ve been giving her tube fed formula. She doesn’t seem to be pooping any of the food out- I honestly don’t know where it’s going. I checked her for lumps, but I don’t feel anywhere that the food may be storing in her. She’s so thin- yet she’s not pooping the food out. X-rays did not reveal blockage.

I have to come to the realization that she is not getting better and not responding to the antibiotics, nor the vitamin food. Her sister has been spending every moment with her...she even tried to help her preen her feathers this morning. It’s so sad. She was shivering when I went to let her outside this morning (never seen her do that before). She tries to act normal around her sister, yet she has no strength. She’s been laying underneath the shade tree all day...spending the day with her sister. She loves being outside and is very attentive, watching the squirrels and songbirds. I’m not sure how far I should let this go on. She seems happy being outside and loves quacking/talking with her sister. They’re so happy together and I’m surprised she is still eating her snacks, given her poor prognosis. Part of me thinks I should call my vet to put her to sleep, and part of me wants to give us all more time together. The whole euthanasia thing scares me because I’m not familiar with the specific process involving birds.
Any thoughts?:idunno

I have been wondering if the additional snacks are a good idea. Treating my animals for various ailments over the years, I was always instructed to not give anything other than the prescribed diet.
I have also been wondering about water with ACV. Apple cider vinegar with the mother helps in digestion. If treats are okay, perhaps yogurt would help (probiotics).

I can't help but wonder if she has some sort of obstruction.
Part of me thinks that some of her organs are just not functioning the way they should anymore, therefore nothing is being digested properly. I can only go off the X-rays from last Thursday and what the vet said. It sure is frustrating. We raised chickens/turkeys when I was a kid in Michigan and we never had issues like this with any of our birds. In fact, our birds died from old age! I have had nothing but heartaches since I began my small flock here in Cambodia...I mean, Florida.

Back
Top Bottom