My duck, Quack quack was attacked by my Drake

The Pinto Pony

Chirping
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Indiana
Hello, this morning I was out with my birds and I decided to let my Muscovy drake in with my three ducks. So he was walking around and then out of nowhere he started attacking one of my Pekins. I had them separated because I didn't want him to try to breed with them because they're only about nine pounds. He's an eighteen pound bird so he would crush them. I scared him back into his pen and looked around at the ducks. Quack quack was the one that got attacked and she was really squinting one of her eyes and that was it. I have seen her Stretch, yawn, swim, drink, go to the bathroom, clean herself and act like normal Quack quack. I'm worried because I don't know if she can see out of her eye. Do you guys think she needs to see a vet? I have also seen her blink her eyes.

I don't think Quack Quack needs to see a vet. He may have been trying to mate with her, sometimes they are a little rough. She sounds like she will be perfectly fine. May have just got something in her eye during the engagement with your drake or gotten scratched a little. Also, As long as you collect and refrigerate your duck eggs daily even if your boy is with your girls they won't have any babies. His weight would not hurt them. It takes about 4-5 days for a baby duck to start developing in the egg with warm temps. I would just let everyone run around together so your boy gets used to them and isn't lonely. He may have been a little rough because he was so excited to finally be around the girls and is a little lonely. Just an idea. : )

Okay thankyou! I have them seperated because my other Pekin is a Drake. I let my Muscovy hen, Lucky duck, in with him every other day.
Its not that I don't want Ducklings around, I would gladly welcome them :D!

Oh, I see. Well good then. Although I've always had multiple drakes together with my girls with no issues. Hope her eye heals quickly! Good luck and take care.

I might rinse her eye with a few drops of mild saline solution to prevent infection. And just watch it... They can get eye infections but are less likely to if they have constant access to water. But since they can enrich their water so much, some saline to clean it out is what I would do.

Feel free to join us on the Duck Forum, if you have not already (I miss posts).

I might rinse her eye with a few drops of mild saline solution to prevent infection. And just watch it... They can get eye infections but are less likely to if they have constant access to water. But since they can enrich their water so much, some saline to clean it out is what I would do.

Feel free to join us on the Duck Forum, if you have not already (I miss posts).
I'm already on the Duck forum, but thanks anyway :). I change their pool water twice daily, but I will get some Saline solution.

Back
Top Bottom