My duckling brooder...NEW PICS!

21hens-incharge

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
My ducklings are "in transit"....I expect them thursday morning but really hope they get here tomorrow.

My brooder is set up, lamp has been tested, I have a spare bulb...wondering if I am missing anything...

IMG_20200331_112828.jpg
The brooder is 2'x4' and 2' tall. Plastic lining with cardboard to hold it up the sides a few inches.
IMG_20200331_112818.jpg
My water/mess contraption....16" square, 1.5" deep, 1/4" hardware cloth over the top and a wood frame for support.

Should I cover the shavings and drip tray with paper towels for the first few days?
Maybe move food and water closer to heat?

My ducklings are "in transit"....I expect them thursday morning but really hope they get here tomorrow.

My brooder is set up, lamp has been tested, I have a spare bulb...wondering if I am missing anything...

View attachment 2069852
The brooder is 2'x4' and 2' tall. Plastic lining with cardboard to hold it up the sides a few inches.
View attachment 2069854
My water/mess contraption....16" square, 1.5" deep, 1/4" hardware cloth over the top and a wood frame for support.

Should I cover the shavings and drip tray with paper towels for the first few days?
Maybe move food and water closer to heat?
Very nice! The only thing I would suggest to make your life easier would be to put puppy pads over the pine shavings. Makes cleanup so fast and easy.

Very nice! The only thing I would suggest to make your life easier would be to put puppy pads over the pine shavings. Makes cleanup so fast and easy.

With the stay at home order here.....will old towels work as long as there are no toe grabbing snags or loose strings?

i just reread your post

Your ducklings are in transit today, and might not come till thursday?

Tracking is saying Thursday. It has me a bit more than a bit worried.
They are coming from Cackle. They shipped Monday. I really hope that they get here tomorrow. Thursday is 4 days out of the shell with nothing. :(

Tracking is saying Thursday. It has me a bit more than a bit worried.
They are coming from Cackle. They shipped Monday. I really hope that they get here tomorrow. Thursday is 4 days out of the shell with nothing. :(
yeah thats a long time, do you keep electrolytes and vitamins around?

Did cackle mention feed gel or anything?

yeah thats a long time, do you keep electrolytes and vitamins around?

Did cackle mention feed gel or anything?

They did not mention adding any gel. It did not show up as an add in option when I ordered either.
I have some nutridrench. My feed store is close by and will be open tomorrow too. If I don't get the babies first thing tomorrow I will run over and get some electrolytes.

Tracking has not updated since 11:23 pm on Monday. I am hoping that is just a lag in scanning and not that they are sitting on a cold dock.

Back
Top Bottom