My DW's New Ride: A Honda Big Red

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
We've needed a utility vehicle on our 10 acre farm for awhile and my DW (Stacey) Tay's been begging for a John Deere Gator for almost 2 years plus. Everytime we pass a neighbor of ours, she points out the fact that they have TWO John Deere gators!

The first time she did this, I said to her..."What do you need a Gator for?"

"Well, I can drive down and pick up the mail with it."

"Pick up the mail? Are you kidding me? You need an expensive utility vehicle to pick up the mail? Are you nuts? We don't need to spend that much to make sure our mail makes it into the house."

I think that kind of crushed her because she had every opportunity to extol the virtues of having a utility and unfortunately the first thing she blurts out is the 100 yard drive to our mailbox. Very similar to the Red Ryder BB gun overplay in "A Christmas Story"...

At that point, every time she brought it up, it made no difference which new wonderful quality she claimed that a utility vehicle possessed, I quickly joked about her getting the mail with it. She got to the point where she didn't think that she'd ever get one.

Until today...I surprised her by saying that we should drop by and take a look at a utility vehicle. She suggested the Honda Big Red instead of a Gator. The strange thing about it was that I'd been researching these vehicles for months and came to the same conclusion. Plus, her whole family is a "Honda...til death do us part" type of family.

So, cut to the chase. Tay got the vehicle of her dreams today!
wee.gif

8693_img_2686.jpg

8693_img_2689.jpg

She's out with one of our daughters right now tooling around the farm. God, I think this purchase just turned her into a ten year old kid today. Isn't that awesome? Here are some pics from earlier!

She even checked for the mail, to no avail (an empty mailbox).

8693_img_2697.jpg

I guess at this rate, the Big Red won't pay for itself in like ....a thousand years!
lau.gif

Last edited:
that's Awesome of you, Bluey! My DH and I have discussed this same topic several time, him especially wanting it to get to his favorite hunting spots. But , we just cringe at the cost.

Thanks 'pBoo! I call it our "little piece of serenity".

As a former New York City boy, used to noise permeating everything, my favorite time of the day is spent sitting on our deck with my DW, watching the chickens return to the coop, the deer coming to clean up the leftovers of their food and sitting and watching the kittens play and waiting until the stars come out.

It gets so dark, peaceful and quiet (thanks to the chickens cleaning out the cricket population
tongue.png
). I'm very fortunate...

Back
Top Bottom