My eggs are late

If you decide to take them out. You will need tweezers rubbing alcohol, a warm damp paper towel or towel, coconut oil if u have it. Make sure you are right beside the incubator so that if needed you can stick him back in there to get warm. Starting at the air sack peal away small pieces of shell at a time. When you get to the inner lining out coconut oil on it to keep it moist make sure that the veins are not bleeding any more. Too do this simply pull at the inner lining a little bit if it bleeds then wait a couple of mins. If it keeps bleeding after that then just make the decision your self based on how the baby if you should take the inner layer away and free him or not. Slowly inch your way down with the tweezers till you get to the chicks bottom. Look for yellow if there is a lot of yellow then stick him back I the incubator for a little while longer. Also stick some coconut oil on the inner liner as you go. If it turns white its too dry. When you get low enough the baby should push out if not you do have full permission to pull him out not all the way just his head let him pull his bottom out so that he gets the umbilical out himself with out causing damage. Finally put the tweezers in the rubbing alcohol to clean them. The warm wet paper towels is just to keep him semi warm while he's not in the incubator. Let me know how it goes. Don't be afraid to do emergency rescue. If they are not talking or moving do the " surgery". I hope all goes well.

If you decide to take them out. You will need tweezers rubbing alcohol, a warm damp paper towel or towel, coconut oil if u have it. Make sure you are right beside the incubator so that if needed you can stick him back in there to get warm. Starting at the air sack peal away small pieces of shell at a time. When you get to the inner lining out coconut oil on it to keep it moist make sure that the veins are not bleeding any more. Too do this simply pull at the inner lining a little bit if it bleeds then wait a couple of mins. If it keeps bleeding after that then just make the decision your self based on how the baby if you should take the inner layer away and free him or not. Slowly inch your way down with the tweezers till you get to the chicks bottom. Look for yellow if there is a lot of yellow then stick him back I the incubator for a little while longer. Also stick some coconut oil on the inner liner as you go. If it turns white its too dry. When you get low enough the baby should push out if not you do have full permission to pull him out not all the way just his head let him pull his bottom out so that he gets the umbilical out himself with out causing damage. Finally put the tweezers in the rubbing alcohol to clean them. The warm wet paper towels is just to keep him semi warm while he's not in the incubator. Let me know how it goes. Don't be afraid to do emergency rescue. If they are not talking or moving do the " surgery". I hope all goes well.
Warm or cold wet paper towels or cloth is not good. Whether warm or cold, evaporative cooling is taking place. This will only "chill" the chick.
A better way would be to use a warm towel, either by heating in a dryer or other heat source, ie; placing the towel (cloth or paper) on a heating pad.
It doesn't take long for a chick to become chilled.

Here's a good guide for assisted hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

A better way would be to use a warm towel, either by heating in a dryer or other heat source, ie; placing the towel (cloth or paper) on a heating pad.
It doesn't take long for a chick to become chilled.
Heating pad would work well.
When I assist a hatch I use a swing arm utility lamp with an incandescent bulb, to be able to see and to provide an 'overhead' heater. Turn it on 30 minutes prior to 'operation' and it will warm the surface nicely. Has worked well.
upload_2020-1-4_8-21-17.png

Bummer!
Were they shipped...if so, did you do any prep?

So you are on day 22?
Is your thermometer tested against a known accurate one?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
They were shipped. Idk what kind of prep you're talking about. I placed them in an egg crate with fat end up for 24 hrs. I'd heard to not wash them because the Hen had a coating to help protect them. Then someone told my Ma last night that they were supposed to be washed. The pipped one didn't make it. I have 6 left. None of them have pipped. No movements. I do have an extra thermometer in there that is accurate.

They were shipped. Idk what kind of prep you're talking about. I placed them in an egg crate with fat end up for 24 hrs. I'd heard to not wash them because the Hen had a coating to help protect them. Then someone told my Ma last night that they were supposed to be washed
Yes, letting them rest as you've described then candling to look for cracks and/or loose air cells.

Washing or not can be a toss up, some do it, some don't.
Sanitizing any eggs that may have/had poop on them can avoid the stinker situation you had.

I always candle after the 24hr mark. Just to see what's going on. Sometimes I find internally pipped chicks and sometimes I have had to toss the eggs. I'd go ahead and do that so you aren't getting your hopes up.

None of them made it. I think they were just too dirty. We had 8 out of 22 that were fertile. Out of the 8, only 1 fully developed. The 7 others looked like they only developed for 2 weeks, then died. I had the temps and rotations alright. I am doing research on how to candle better. I think a combo of bacteria and possible air sack punctures or deformities. Thank yall so much for the help. I am really upset about the money lost, but more so about my little babies.

Back
Top Bottom